For some reason I don't think strawberry jam was exactly the kind of jam Bob was singing about.... but I've been singin' it since yesterday afternoon.
Monday morning strawberry picking...






For some reason I love the foggy pictures of me filling the jars with all that yummy boiling jam. Even though Justin took some clearer ones, these ones seemed to capture how I felt as I was making it all. The plan was for Justin and I to make it together when the kids were napping. But somehow it got later and later and before we knew it Steele had woken up, I was on the phone starting the whole process and Jusin took Steele outside to sit in the wading pool. As I rolled up my sleeves and dug in I found myself thankful for the time and the experience to do it on my own.
It was hot. Around 90 degrees outside and probably even hotter inside. Definitely hotter in the kitchen. Somewhere in the middle of it all, sweat literally streaming down my face, I felt alive. I was giddy and smiling. It was real. It was nourishment - to my soul and to our bodies. And I loved it. The thought occurred to me of how good it felt to make and create something instead of constantly buy and consume everything. And the literal fruit of my labor? 24 jars of jam and 5 containers of freezer jam just waiting to be eaten up!




4 comments:
Hooray for you and your jam!! I'm impressed that you went ahead and made your jam despite the heat. I am such a warm weather wimp. I waited until today, when I woke up to some beautiful clouds this morning, to go get our berries. I'm not quite brave enough to pick with my four (all members of the five and under crowd), though. Bob and I are hoping to the canning together, too. I'm so thankful that he likes to do stuff in the kitchen with me. I'm also going to try to make some syrup with our berries... I'm wondering if I can can (hee hee) it also...
Good job, Cutzi!
rebecca m
Ooh, that looks like gorgeous jam! I've had my heart set on doing some canning this season, but I haven't acquired the necessary water bath canner and canning jars yet. Maybe this weekend. . .
I am very impressed that you canned in the heat! I've become a total weather wimp--a few months in Seattle has spoiled me!
Praise God for "alive" moments. Thank God for times he makes us aware of them. Amazing bounty. xoxo Christine
I loooove that second photo of Adia!!! What a face!
Post a Comment