Sunday, July 6, 2008

On Buying a Bathing Suit

In response to Elizabeth Esther

In a questionable attempt to be funny, I left a seriously long "comment" to Elizabeth's latest post this morning. Since I tend to be awfully long winded but hopefully conscientious of others' blog space, I thought I would just delete it over there and post it here. Sorry Elizabeth... maybe you know this about me by now?

Anyway... I've had my share of bathing suit woes lately. Here's a glimpse.

note: There will not be a picture included in this post.

Ok Elizabeth.... I haven't even birthed babies and I still have a post-partum body. Speaking of "WTF???"...

While I appreciate your attempt to encourage the rest of us to a positive attitude in this whole bathing suit issue (you're doing a great job of it yourself btw) it's just not workin' for me. Your arguments are sound but your method is erroneous.

Now, I know you have 5 children and you probably barely even eeked out time to swing by Target for 1/2 an hour. And seeing as how you're buying a new house (and you have 5 children to clothe and feed) Target might fit into your budget quite perfectly (it does mine). But I am telling you - DO NOT go to Target to try and find a bathing suit. Or Kohls... and especially not Old Navy. You might, MIGHT, be able to find something at TJ Maxx - but the odds are not in your favor. Believe me. I know.

You are right that your children will not care, although when you ask them how you look they may respond with something similar to what my brother said to my mom once, "Are you supposed to look big or are you supposed to look small?"

Anyway, allow me to convince you:

1. The lighting in Target is awful. Even with 8 full hours of sleep it will still make you look like you have dark circles under your eyes. I won't even begin to tell you what it makes cellulite look like.

2. One is destined to be in a room next to girls as you described. But even worse, one might see their little 110 lb bodies carry in the exact same bathing suit you plan to try and squeeze your own body into.

3. Target bathing suit fabric isn't made to hold anything in - in fact, I'd bet it may have been made to do just the opposite.

4. If you do find a suitable suit - what you save in dollars, you could quite possibly lose in time grumping over it every time you have to put it on.

The solution to the problem of which I have yet to resolve myself? Land's End!

Every year I tell myself I'm going to buy one - and this year I am. I'm just going take an hour or so one evening, take all my measurements, spend the money and order myself the perfect suit... that I can try on in the comfort of my own bedroom surrounded by candlelight and soothing music (ok.. maybe not candlelight but certainly not florescent)

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Maybe I'll even post a picture of myself in it to go along with the gun show. Just for you. ;-)


Oh no!! I just went over to Elizabeth's blog to delete my comment... and I can't!! Oh the embarrassment of it all!



9 comments:

amy said...

I bet you will like your next swimsuit more than any you've had before because you are...
A FIT YUMMY MUMMY!

I love the candlelight and music bit!
You're funny!

Jodi said...

Ahhh Cutz...you're funny. I actually read Elizabeth's post this afternoon, clicked on the one lone comment she had at the time, saw THE BOOK that had been written, and then caught a quick glimpse of the name "Cutzi" posted right below it. It made me smile.

Okay, I'm holding you to buying that swimsuit at Land's End because I can't stand the thought that you don't own a swimsuit! When you do purchase it and fall in love with the way it looks on your fit yummy body, at least post a model-free picture of it.

Anonymous said...

OM Goodness Cutzi. You.crack.me.UP! You do make a fine point though...a fine point. Target is no place to buy a bathing suit. No maam.

kate said...

I bought my swimsuit from lands end this summer.

here's my recs. Tops - I have a larger chest and bought the underwire, love it. I also bought 6 (yes 6!) and then returned them to sears (well angela did, we went in together). I loved having a few different ones to try on. The ones I thought I would like, I didn't and the ones I picked just b/c they looked cute, were the ones I loved.

I didn't like the fabric of the tummy control (faile?) but you may like the thickness, just wasn't for me.

okay, here I have written my book on yours.

It is great there. LOVE land's end. I'm sold forever.

good luck.

Elizabeth said...

LOL! cutzi, you can write a book on my blog any old time you please!!! it totally cracked me up and made my day. next year? lands end all the way!!

Anonymous said...

Remember the skirt versions...i love mine believe it or not!

Anonymous said...

oops...i forgot to sign my post...xoxo Christine (the skirt suit wearer)

ilse said...

Cutzi- I don't think that Target is a good place to buy clothing, in general - i take 20 things into the changing room, and come out with nothing. I love Target for everything else, but i get stuck when it comes to clothes. I don't have the mom body, but i wear a grandma bathing suit on a regular basis ( navy blue speedo for swimming laps). Your post cracks me up!

Rach said...

Buying swimsiuts is the most annoying thing ever. I feel your pain. Let us know how the swim siut works out for you. And does anyone know where to get tankinis that don't flare out at the bottom. I can't wear a bikini (wish I could - dont have the bod) so I would like to waer a tankini, but tankinis are crazy-wierd as they all flare out. I am wearing a tankini this summer that I had to sew in the sides so it was tight. AHHHHHH

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.