Wednesday, March 5, 2008

On Being an Only Child etc.

I was, essentially, an only child for the first 21 years of my life. I was aware that I had siblings from my father both in Mexico and somewhere in the Seattle area but hadn't met them until only a few years ago. My mom was single for many years and re-married the summer after I graduated from high school. Then, at 21, my little sister Abbey was born. Not even two years later came my brother Gabe. At which point I was no longer officially an only child.

I really am so thankful for both of them. They're cool kids. Fun to be around. Each with their own, unique personalities. Each that I enjoy immensely. They are a fabulous aunt and uncle to my kids. I'm also thankful as I look down the road to a day when my mother gets older and may be sick or ailing and we have decisions to make. Or the day when she passes away and there are funeral arrangements to be made and accounts to be settled. Things that can sometimes be an overwhelming challenge for an only child. But today, as I carry out my life as a young mother and wife I am, for all intense purposes, still an only child.

There is a family at our church that had five children. Two girls and three boys. Their children are grown now and several of them attend our church (as do the parents). Two of them married siblings, the other a dear sweet gal that was best friends with one of the siblings. I won't even try to explain, it's complicated. My point is, though, that it is the most wonderful family and I have made special note as I have watched them interact as siblings and in-laws.

There's something special about a sibling. Perhaps especially special about a sister. They are someone who knows you better than anyone else, who has lived life with you and knows your quirky little flaws, someone you can be completely comfortable with. I always imagine that if I had a sister close to my age that she would be the one I called when I was having a tiring day with my children, the one I would call to drop the kids off at when I had a doctor's appointment, the one that would give me hand-me-downs for my children, go shopping with me and do crafts with me. Now, I know that not everyone has relationships with their siblings like the one I describe, but many do.

Lately I've had several appointments and things to do where I needed someone to watch the kids. I found myself wishing I had a sister that I could call up and say, "Hey, can I drop Steele off for a couple hours?" Or even, "I have to go to a meeting all day in Seattle and Justin is working. Can you watch the kids for the day." Because, really, who else would you feel comfortable saying that to except a sister or maybe a mom? Certainly not my mother-in-law who is very graciously driving two hours up and two hours back to do it.... A sister is also the person that can drop their kids off at your house for a couple hours and it's not a big deal because, well, you probably love their children almost as much as you love your own.

Fortunately, my grandma has saved the day lately. She'll be 80 this year and it brings her such joy to help me with my children. I had a big lump in my throat yesterday as I thanked her for helping me go to a doctor's appointment with Adia. I told her how much it meant to me and how much I enjoy spending time with her and she told me how she is so glad that she is still able to do it. Then we told each other "I love you." Grandmas are pretty special too ya know. Yesterday I sort of threw my back out - and in my grandma's own slightly annoying worrisome way she gave me the sympathy only a grandma can give and rubbed my back in the middle of the doctor's office waiting room.

So, I guess the point of this post is that, aside from serving and glorifying the Lord, in my opinion there is no greater blessing than family. When my mom had Abbey and she and my step father were deciding whether or not 43 was too old to have another child I said to my mom, "You have to have another child. Don't do that to Abbey." And those are my feelings to this day.

So keep having those babies! Or adopt some babies! With all the people out there these days concerned about their environmental footprints you can probably afford to have a few extra! Go for it. And if you think about it, have you ever heard anybody at the end of their life look at their dear, beautiful family and say, "I wish I hadn't had so many darn children?" No. I often hear so many say, "I wish I had had more."

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a brother who is 5 years younger than me. We were never that close growing up, sue to the age gap. I still am so happy to have him, and as we get older our relationship gets better. I do long to have a sister though. I think about the same stuff you mentioned about helping watch children, and having a lifelong friend.

I think that is why I want a big family, and why my kids are so close in age. I want them to have each other, especially someday when I am no longer around.

I will agree with you too about Grandmas. I still have both of mine and they are wonderful women who love my children as much, and if not more than I do. My grandma just turned 77 and is battlibng cancer, and I value every minute we can spend togther.

Well said. Lets have more babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

candicelr said...

Cutzi-

Reading your blog, I was all in tears. I can't even express it in words right now. It just really touched me and I feel the same way. I'm surrounded in siblings, but growing up I was more of an only sibling/mom figure in my family. Siblings are so important in so many ways. I get emotional at least once a week watching my boys play and interact with eachother. I was worried about them being three years apart, and always wanted them closer but God knew what he was doing. :) Even though they are somewhat far apart they are so close and play in amazing ways. Okay more tears from me. Everyone that loves their children and understands what precious gifts they are should definitely have more babies!!

Thanks for sharing.
Candice

amy said...

Yeah have more kids. And I would add this: like them too! Oh and help them to like each other.

You can always call me. I love your kids to death! And I feel as close to you as a sister!

Jodi said...

I want to go hug my sister right now. And I'm so thankful Delaney's going to have one.

Good post, Cutz.

kate said...

No so close with my sister, 9 years apart...but I dream of those days with my girls. I can't wait for them to do those things with each other.

good point on looking back on life regarding kids. struggling right now about #3...hmmmm

Leslie said...

Amy is right - help them to like each other. The other day Abbey was overwhelmed with homework and Gabe had finished folding his own weekly laundry. I called Gabe over and quietly asked him if he'd like to do something nice for his sister and fold her basket of laundry. "No pressure," I said, "It's totally up to you." Well, he did, and she was so surprised. Later down in the kitchen I found a dark chocolate bar, Gabe's favorite. I gave it to Abbey and said, "Maybe you could give this to Gabe as a way to say thank you." So she did, reserving none of it for herself!
By the way Cutzi, Abbey was just saying that in two more years she can watch your kids and she'll even do it for FREE. You'd better hold her to that!

amy said...

Leslie, your story about Abbey and Gabe made me want to cry. That is SO beautiful.

THAT is how it is done!

Michelle said...

Cutzi, if you need a baby-sitter in Seattle, I'll watch you kids! I'm a pediatric nurse, so I'm pretty sure I'd meet your qualifications :-)

I was an only child for seven years, and my mom still tells people that I prayed my sister into existence. Every night at bedtime prayers, every week in Sunday school my prayer request was "a baby brother or sister". It worked, and now I feel a lot of pride in watching my baby sister become an amazing woman.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Sorry--double post. And I would watch "your kids", not "you kids". Didn't want to imply that you and your kids needed watching ;-)

Cutzi said...

Michelle! I loved your story. My little sister prayed Steele into existence too, I'll have to post the story sometime.

AND, we need to be friend! When's Martha gonna get her rear out here?

Cutzi said...

Dangit. Why can't you edit comments. I hate that. I meant to say... We need to be "friends."

Martha said...

Oh....I always wanted a sister! Luckily? I have a lot of sisters in law!

I'll let you girls know as soon as I'm coming out there! My first trip is next week - to Boston. And then the following week to Arkansas. I'm hoping for Seattle soon!!!

And if there's one person I'd want watching my kids? It's Michelle. Noodle's in love with her because she is the most wonderful person in the world!! You'll love her when you meet her. I fell for her instantly. Not to sound like a weirdo? But Michelle enchants everyone who meets her. There's a goodness about her that just radiates.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.