Sunday, March 16, 2008

If There Was a Mexican Version of Starbucks...

These...



would definitely not be on the skinny menu. (see yesterday's post) The refrieds could actually probably make it there, minus the bacon. But these are so yummy.

It all started while we were at Costco today *note to self: the throngs of people at Costco on a Sunday is just another reason why we do not generally go there on Sundays. Although, I did see a lot of people I knew including my high school journalism teacher who I always felt bad about because I was in charge of advertising for our yearbook one year and a ton of the ads that were purchased never got in the yearbook. My fault... but I digress. *

Ok, so we're at Costco and they have those uncooked flour tortillas on sample. They were delicious. And I remember that somewhere in my jumbled up recipe box is a handwritten tortilla recipe from my sister. So I decided to make them. We didn't really have much of a dinner but a few of these babys hit the spot.

I'm sure there are some special tricks to making these. The only thing I remember from when my sister showed me was that she said the water had to be burning hot and she would not let me mix it with a spoon. I had to use my hands. She also tried to teach me how to roll them into a circle - but it's near impossible as you'll soon see.

Here's the recipe. For some reason I wrote it in the 8th grade version of my handwriting.


In case you can't read it - here you go. Like most great recipes, these are all approximations. Who ever heard of 1/2 a tablespoon? Whatever.

2 c flour
1/2 Tb baking powder
1/2 Tb salt
2 Tb olive oil
Approx. 3/4 c HOT!! water

Mix it all together.


Roll them into something circular-ish.


Fry them up.


And feed them to your poufy-haired hubby who is laughing hysterically at you since you said to him, "look really happy about your tortillas. It's for my blog."


And if you want to top them off with something yummy, here are my favorite salsa recipes.

Pico De Gallo

I learned how to make this while I was studying in Mexico. I pretty much take it to every gathering I go to and always get rave reviews. You can also add cabbage as a bit of a filler if you'd like.

6-8 Roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 to 1 whole white onion, diced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1-? Tb. nacho jalapenos (I prefer the ones from Costco in the jar)
or
1-? serrano chiles, diced
Juice of 2-3 limes
salt to taste, more than you'd think

Cilantro Salsa

In a blender add:
2 cans diced tomatoes
1-? Tb of those jalapenos from Coscto
1 bunch green onions
2-3 cloves garlic, pressed

Blend, then add:

1 more can diced tomatoes
1 bunch cilantro

Pulse in blender so that it's mixed but there are still chunks of cilantro in it.

Salsa Roja

This is the salsa my sister taught me to make for taquitos. Since we just made taquitos the other day we had some of this left over and that's what we used tonight. I'll post the taquito recipe soon.

Boil 3-4 Roma tomatoes in water until skins begin to peel and crack
While they're boiling, roast a jalapeno on a cast-iron comal or frying pan until blackened.
Once the tomatoes and jalapeno are done, dump out the tomato water and blend the tomato and jalapeno (cut the stem off first) in a blender along with a couple cloves of garlic and some salt (again, more than you'd think). Does anyone know how to get that little squiggly over the n? You'd thin after years of college Spanish I'd know, but I don't.

Please let me know if you try any of these. I'd love to hear what you think. Did anyone try the Chinese Noodles?

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm definitely printing these recipes. We had your "refried" beans last night (finally!) and loved them. So much better than anything you get in a can. I used turkey bacon, and next time I may leave that out and try adding lime juice at the end.

To get the ñ on a Mac, you hold down the option key and "n" at the same time, then release and type "n" again. On a PC, try ALT+0241. If that doesn't work, it's long and involved. . . here's the link to the ridiculously long instructions: http://www.studyspanish.com/accents/typing.htm

Jodi said...

Yummy! I'll definitely have to try the tortillas.

The HTML code for an ñ is &-#-2-4-1-; only without the dashes. I can't type it correctly here without it turning into the character. I'm sure there's a code for disarming codes, but I'm too lazy to look it up. So for web publishing, just type the code right in the middle of your word.

The code for a capital Ñ is &-#-2-0-9-;, but when would you use a capital Ñ? Maybe if you want to shout, "JALAPEÑO!" I'm trying to think of other words with an ñ that are good for shouting....

Kristen said...

Cutzi, I am standing in the kitchen trying to decide what kind of comfort food my postpartum body is craving... I am making these tortillas right now!!! Thanks for the recipe :)
Kristi Kill

amy said...

I need some of that salsa now!
Does your house smell fried after making these tortilla's?

Martha said...

I'm totally making these.

You are the BEST, Cutz!

xoxox,

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.