Okay, after hours of stunned silence then laughter because I should have thought this about you long ago... all I have to say is... That much ironing is against my religion!!
I've only twice ironed once in two years - a shirt for Lucas for one wedding and my silk dress and matching sling for the both. I bought a new ironing board when we moved and it's still wrapped in plastic.
Now I take them in. I have special instructions too. They separately separately bag each shirt. They clip the sleeves (before I requested it, they didn't even have clips). No starch; makes packing wrinkles permanent.
I used to iron all my shirts. Amy can attest to me ironing 15 shirts on a Thursday night. But then when I tri-folded them in my carry-on, they didn't stay ironed. When you take them in and they get pressed and bagged, I never have to iron them again, even when I take them out of the case.
So, uh... there ya go.
And yeah, your kids always look well-put together. Always assumed it was good taste rather than hard work, or that you don't let Steel pick out his own clothes.
Just another reason I love you... I don't even know where my iron is located. I think I will look for my iron and iron some under shirts and jeans today just to see what all the fuss is about!! :)
I don't know where my iron is either....but my mom irons EVERYTHING. Her nightgowns (because sleeping in a nightgown that is not iron just isn't the same), handkerchiefs, pillowcases, you name it, she ironed it.
I cannot believe you iron everything. Where do you find the time?????
You know, I can see that about you. I can see you ironing something, checking the forum, then back to ironing something....LOL. I have a general rule that I don't buy anything with creases anymore because I only iron creases. Everything else just gets a spritz of water with a spray bottle then into the dryer.
I wish I had your discipline. I only iron if I HAVE to. But I have to say? It's usually the Noodle's clothes. *I* look like I'm homeless most of the time.
heh heh. You guys are funny. I figured I'd let you all ooh and ahh over it for a while. The thing is - don't we all have things that we do - that we enjoy doing - that other people might think is a little weird? I keep far from a perfectly clean house, I am anything but organized - but I love to iron. I iron our stuff right before we put it on. It takes me an extra 10 minutes or so. Might explain why I'm usually 10 minutes (or more) late. Oh yah - did I also mention that I am not punctual?
Yes we iron. I ironed all of my kid's little baby outfits and I iron my jeans. I iron both Abbey and Gabe's clothes each night before school the next day. I would be mortified to go anywhere in public with something on that wasn't ironed. My ironing board is permanently upright in my spare room. Funny thing though, I never notice the wrinkles on other people's clothing.
Cutzi began ironing her own clothes in 4th grade so you can blame me for this obsession.
Okay, I've been thinking more about this subject. I just finished "ironing" a patch on my 10 year old daughter's pants. She ripped them out in one knee, but they are otherwise a perfectly good pair of pants. I could buy another pair, but I'm too thrifty for that. This ironing thing came about when I was a single mom trying to live off of $400-$500 a month. We didn't have a lot, and we certainly had a limited wardrobe. I was taught that just because money is tight, doesn't mean you have to go around looking like it is. One should keep clothes clean, mended, and ironing helps give them that"finished", neat look. Even though we had little, we still had pride in our appearance. So that's really where the ironing obsession originated.
For more of my mother's continued insightful opinions on subjects like ironing, global warming, politics and religion... you can visit the Bellingham Herald where she is a regular debater on their editorials.
I crack you up? Really??? I wasn't trying to be funny.
There IS global warming by the way, but it's just part of the natural cycle of the earth. Thank goodness or we'd all be living in the ice age right now. Of course, all of this ironing could be causing the oceans to heat up and the polar ice caps to melt. I think Fred Thompson has my vote for prez after hearing clips of the Republican debate the other day. I need to read more about him first. He was downright glib and witty, and had an answer for everything. And he didn't even have to cry to make a point. Okay, so those are my social and political views for today. Check back later if you want to hear more.
19 comments:
I am so stunned by this I seriously cannot even believe you are serious.
REALLY?!
That is really somethin'.
~Stacy
ps- I'm excited for you to get your camera! :) Very fun!
It shows. You guys always look so put together (especially your grandma). But I am way to lazy to do this for my family.
Okay, after hours of stunned silence then laughter because I should have thought this about you long ago... all I have to say is... That much ironing is against my religion!!
Trina
I lived with this woman and I am here to attest to her absolutely freakish ironing habits.
Every time I walk out the door with horribly wrinkled clothes on, I think of you and wonder how appalled you would be.
Oh, how I wish I was so committed. I'm pretty sure I only iron for holidays (Easter, Christmas... maybe a wedding.)
I've only twice ironed once in two years - a shirt for Lucas for one wedding and my silk dress and matching sling for the both. I bought a new ironing board when we moved and it's still wrapped in plastic.
I used to iron my shirts.
Now I take them in. I have special instructions too. They separately separately bag each shirt. They clip the sleeves (before I requested it, they didn't even have clips). No starch; makes packing wrinkles permanent.
I used to iron all my shirts. Amy can attest to me ironing 15 shirts on a Thursday night. But then when I tri-folded them in my carry-on, they didn't stay ironed. When you take them in and they get pressed and bagged, I never have to iron them again, even when I take them out of the case.
So, uh... there ya go.
And yeah, your kids always look well-put together. Always assumed it was good taste rather than hard work, or that you don't let Steel pick out his own clothes.
Just another reason I love you... I don't even know where my iron is located. I think I will look for my iron and iron some under shirts and jeans today just to see what all the fuss is about!! :)
Glenda
I don't know where my iron is either....but my mom irons EVERYTHING. Her nightgowns (because sleeping in a nightgown that is not iron just isn't the same), handkerchiefs, pillowcases, you name it, she ironed it.
I cannot believe you iron everything. Where do you find the time?????
You know, I can see that about you. I can see you ironing something, checking the forum, then back to ironing something....LOL.
I have a general rule that I don't buy anything with creases anymore because I only iron creases. Everything else just gets a spritz of water with a spray bottle then into the dryer.
Awwww, man!
I wish I had your discipline. I only iron if I HAVE to. But I have to say? It's usually the Noodle's clothes. *I* look like I'm homeless most of the time.
xoxox
heh heh. You guys are funny. I figured I'd let you all ooh and ahh over it for a while. The thing is - don't we all have things that we do - that we enjoy doing - that other people might think is a little weird? I keep far from a perfectly clean house, I am anything but organized - but I love to iron. I iron our stuff right before we put it on. It takes me an extra 10 minutes or so. Might explain why I'm usually 10 minutes (or more) late. Oh yah - did I also mention that I am not punctual?
Oh and btw - I love your profile picture Mike. If ya'll don't know who Mike is - he goes with Amy.
Well, I might have crazy things I do, but you're crazier!
Although, I do obsessively straighten the pictures on the fridge the moment they get even a little bit crooked...
Yes we iron. I ironed all of my kid's little baby outfits and I iron my jeans. I iron both Abbey and Gabe's clothes each night before school the next day. I would be mortified to go anywhere in public with something on that wasn't ironed. My ironing board is permanently upright in my spare room. Funny thing though, I never notice the wrinkles on other people's clothing.
Cutzi began ironing her own clothes in 4th grade so you can blame me for this obsession.
~Leslie, mom of Cutzi
PS If I could iron my face, I'd have it made!
Okay, I've been thinking more about this subject. I just finished "ironing" a patch on my 10 year old daughter's pants. She ripped them out in one knee, but they are otherwise a perfectly good pair of pants. I could buy another pair, but I'm too thrifty for that. This ironing thing came about when I was a single mom trying to live off of $400-$500 a month. We didn't have a lot, and we certainly had a limited wardrobe. I was taught that just because money is tight, doesn't mean you have to go around looking like it is. One should keep clothes clean, mended, and ironing helps give them that"finished", neat look. Even though we had little, we still had pride in our appearance. So that's really where the ironing obsession originated.
For more of my mother's continued insightful opinions on subjects like ironing, global warming, politics and religion... you can visit the Bellingham Herald where she is a regular debater on their editorials.
You crack me up Mom!
I crack you up? Really??? I wasn't trying to be funny.
There IS global warming by the way, but it's just part of the natural cycle of the earth. Thank goodness or we'd all be living in the ice age right now. Of course, all of this ironing could be causing the oceans to heat up and the polar ice caps to melt.
I think Fred Thompson has my vote for prez after hearing clips of the Republican debate the other day. I need to read more about him first. He was downright glib and witty, and had an answer for everything. And he didn't even have to cry to make a point.
Okay, so those are my social and political views for today. Check back later if you want to hear more.
I think you should get your own blog Leslie! It could be a thrifty polititian sort of deal. I would read!
Post a Comment