Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I'm Asking For Advice

I know. Amazing, huh.

As a rule, I generally don't ask people for advice. Except from people I know will give me wise advice. I mean, you know how it is - sometimes the advice you get from people is well.... well, let's just say sometimes it would have been better to leave that space in your brain open for something that was actually useful. But back to my point. I guess I'm actually asking for tips. Or stories. On potty training.

Now, this is the kind of mom I am. I don't ever read those books that tell you all about kids developmental stages. About the closest I get is the little computer hand-out at the doctor's office (when we actually go to the doctor, that is). I glance over them briefly sometimes - but otherwise, I really just believe in letting kids progress at their own pace and I choose to not stress over what they "should" be doing. That said, I do try to be aware of where they're at individually - I don't want to be blind to any true concerns - but I realize that stressing over it or comparing them or pushing them is not going to help. For example, Steele had a hard time eating (I'm realizing how hard of a time even more now that we have Adia). He would chew food up and then was not able to swallow it - it would just come right back out of his mouth. Thank goodness for this bib! I'm not totally anti-doctor, but I did ask the doctor about it a couple times and she didn't think he had a problem. Well, I researched on my own and found that he was having a hard time forming a "bolus" and swallowing it. He would gag easily and the mechanics of eating just weren't coming along. I considered taking him to an occupational therapist but decided to research "treatments" on my own and do them with him. Things like brushing his tongue, having him sit in the right position while he was eating, introducing different textures and temperatures of food purposely, using a metal spoon. And slowly, he began to eat. And now, especially lately, he could eat non-stop.

***I interrupt this post to tell you all that it is snowing so hard right now!! School's cancelled, Jazzercise is cancelled, and when Justin gets home we're going out to play in it. I love it!!***

So what I'm saying is that I really try not to freak out about stuff but choose instead to calmly and wisely handle concerns should they arise.

After all this - we get back to potty training. It's another thing I'm not stressing about - but it would be nice to have it done with. Especially the expensive diaper part. Also, who knows when we could get another baby - what a joy to not have 3 in diapers. I even realized yesterday that it doesn't really bother me to clean up poopy pants - or poopy brand-new-white-Ikea rugs which was the case yesterday. I just do it - it's part of my job. The thought did cross my mind that this might be due to the great training I got at Camp Horizon. (See the "4 Things" post)

The funny thing is - Steele was "potty trained" for like two weeks. I took him to Bible Study and everything in underwear. He never told me he had to go but he wasn't going in his pants. I'm just wondering if any of these "Potty Train Your Child In 2 Days" books actually work. I mean, I don't want to be missing out on some miracle method or anything.

So...... here goes. Any ideas?


I might try and post some pictures later. Just seems like posts should have pictures but I'm too lazy right now.

17 comments:

Glenda said...

While I am here....
Seriously now.... I love you!!
Do you teach Mommy lessons at your house???

Potty-training....what an adventure huh??? I have no real advice other than find out what works for Steele!!!

Kay was bribed with a sticker poster she got stickers if she went potty!!

Peyton was a WHOLE other story, but you know I have some issues with him, he FINALLY just went potty on his own when he was about 3....BUT had a fear of pooping in the toilet....till about ....wait for it.....55555555555!!!!!!!

I pray for an easier time with Colby....
Patience, Patience, Patience!!!

Maybe he will like stickers.

I had a friend who told her daughter after buying her princess panties, " You dont want to get potty on the princesses do you?"
That worked, not that I am suggesting Steele where PRINCESS panties.....thats not good advice!!

In the end all I really know is you are the most wonderfullest mother I know and whichever way you go is the BEST way for Steele!!!

*** I interupt this reply to say all of your praying and all of Kay's praying for snow really did a number!!!****

Have a good SNOW DAY!!

Anonymous said...

My only 'advice' is don't stress out...it will happen when it happens!Just give some POSITIVE reinforcement. Also, sometimes if there are friends that are potty trained or training it helps them to watch them go potty and encourage them. Sometimes peer preasure works wonders!
Take it or leave it...you might need that extra space in your brain!

Anonymous said...

When I knew my daughter had to go,I suggested we go to the potty in the toilet. Even when she said no, my reply was always "ok, maybe next time". When I stopped stressing out she stopped stressing out!

Hilary said...

Um... yeah, we bribed. The "experts" tell you not to, but it worked great for us. The kids got a fruit snack (a single piece, not a pack) whenever they produced something in the toilet. Now, my son developed GREAT control - he'd go a little, get a fruit snack, and go again 5 minutes later... and again 3 minutes later. BUT, both kids potty trained pretty easily within a few weeks at about 18-24 months. Daytime that is... night is still an issue. :)

Jodi said...

Hee hee...well I won't give you advice because I definitely don't have any. As you know, Jack just woke up potty trained one day, which had been my "approach" (if you can call it that) from the beginning. However, I was definitely sweating a little when I saw three and a half approaching and he still had no interest in the toilet.

So no advice...but I won't tell you not to stress...because you already said you're not. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I have nothing to add either. Kids just do it on their own I think. Jake was the hardest. Levi the easiest and Andrew somewhere in the middle. But I have found that to be true with most everything with them. All my boys though did train to some degree about 3 years of age. Give or take.

Trina :-)

Stacy said...

Wow. So all three of ours are potty trained right now. (Isaac and Isaias still wear pull-ups for sleep)... and my two cents to you (and you sound a lot like me as far as just let them go at their own pace type of thing...)... is to offer the opportunity but don't push it unless he's into it.

Our standard has been "a jelly belly (or M&M) if you go #1, two if you go #2..." and that has worked for all three.

Ella was a breeze.

Isaac... we tried and tried and did all we could but the boy was plainly not interested. Or semi-interested but not initiating on his own. And so we faded out and then one day HE WAS and it just stuck.

Isaias...we were barely even trying (like, once a week offering it) but all of a sudden he was so into it we just went along with it and now he's out of diapers.

So that's my "advice", for what it's worth. Wait until they're initiating it and then run along with that like it was your idea.

Which, oddly, isn't my parenting advice for ANY OTHER realm of parenting, but this one, it is. Because it's just not a battle we want to fight since I genuinely don't know, ever, if their bodies can do it or if they can recognize when they need to go, etc, etc, etc.

~Stacy

amy said...

Any advise I would give you is advise you have given me I am pretty sure!
I am really glad that you don't mind cleaning "stuff" out of pants! That, I am sure is a huge help.

Anonymous said...

Titus did the week long totally potty trained thing too right after Theo came along. I was so stoked! Then he stopped caring and no amount of candy or coaxing helped.

One day he told me in a knowing voice that "poop is bad, huh, Mom" and I realized he was kind of getting the wrong idea.

Now we've just decided to not push it or even try training right now. He knows how it all works, he can do it if he wants to, but he just doesn't. We talk about it, joke about him going, and sometimes he pretends to go.

One day he'll be ready and it'll go great! Until then, it's his butt, I guess. If he wants to prolong to the poopiness, that's his problem. They're only two and half, though! that's till young.

Once they're trained it seems like you're still dealing with wiping their poopy butts all the time anyway, and we don't even have a bathroom upstairs right now, so I don't even want to tackle it in this house anymore!

koti hu said...

i miss you guys!

Leslie said...

Time for your mom's advice: Don't push it (or he won't "push it"). You'll just find yourself in a power struggle over something of which Steele has full control. That never works well for parents - so pick battles you can win.
Wait until spring and let him run around naked as much as possible (especially outside - even though you live in Lynden). There's nothing more uncomfortable than wet pee running down your legs, especially if it's a little nippy outside.
Also, now that Adia's one, focus on her potty training efforts. Your sister Abbey was a little slow at potty training until she saw how much attention her 18-month-old brother was getting for using the potty. So use sibling rivalry to your advantage, and be very specific in your praise. It works for my second grade students - "Gee, look how nicely Susie is sitting; not talking, hands in her lap, and ready to hear my instruction." I don't have to say another word to the rest of the kiddos.
As you know, your brother couldn't stand to be dirty for a second, so he was trained by one and a half - the easiest one of all of you! I imagine he'll be the next ironing fiend in the family.

Martha said...

Ha! Your Mom is funny!

I agree with her. I truly believe that positive reinforcement is sooooo much more powerful than anything else. And catching them doing things "right".
By the time I finally figured out that I needed to just DROP IT with the Noodle's training, she potty-trained herself. She was a couple of months away from 3 years old. She didn't stay dry at night until she was older, though. Age 4-5. But she comes from a long line of bedwetters :)
I think, as a parent, there's nothing harder than standing back and letting your child find his own way, but it's sooooo important.
Good luck!

xoxox,
martha

kate said...

Eloise has been in limbo potty training since just before 2. She will poo on the potty, but is too busy to remember to wee. I've had to be a little more laxed about it and know that she will do it when she's ready. I'm sure both my girls will train at the same time.

good luck

Jessica Stier said...

I am all about letting them run around in their bare bum. It seemed to be the one thing that did it for Garland.

The other thing that I learned with him is not to put him back in diapers for any reason. Even pull ups. We did that over Christmas because we were traveling and were sleeping in strange places (not his own bed with his waterproof mattress cover). When we got home he had completely reverted to going in the diaper. We went through a couple of weeks where he was having accidents all over the place. But now we seem to be back on track. I say that but today I found him sitting on the potty going poo with his underwear on the ground filled up with a nice little "log".

Maybe accidents just happen and you just have to roll with it until there is no more rolling needed...

Good luck!!!

Mike Hollister said...

I think the funniest thing is all the different names people give for these more unsightly bodily functions.

Which actually reminds me of another "thing about Cutzi"...

candicelr said...

Exactly everything that your mom said! When Cael was just over 2yrs, we decided to give it a shot just to see where he was at. I let him run around naked the first two days and that was it for him! I think he had an accident twice. He saw what was going on, and didn't like getting wet, so he went straight to the potty.

Also, every single time he went we sang his favorite songs and did a "yay Cael happy dance" haha. He just loved it. Stay really positive about it, and definitely don't push it.

In the beginning, it will seem like he has to potty every ten minutes or so. About two weeks after Cael was trained he worked himself up to two hours, so I could venture out of the house for a bit. lol.

Candice

p.s. i'm with you on most of those "how to mommy books", and "how smart your kids should be" books. lol.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link you left me on my blog the other day.

My little boy will be three in 2 weeks.... I am a firm believer in letting them PT when they are ready.

I saw a "mini-urinal" (for real :) on slae at Walmart. I might be trying that for our little guy. I will let you know how it goes...

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.