Sunday, January 3, 2010

From A Reader

From the comments section of my blog post titled "Wrangling Kids and Chasing Vans in the Rain."

I would like to agree with Heidi on one of her points from her second comment - it's true, none of us really knows what another person is feeling or thinking or what their motivation is for doing what they do. One thing I know for sure though, this job of parenting is a hard one and the Lord is daily refining me through it. We're all just doing the best we can, and sometimes it's nice to have a little help. I know I was thankful for it with my own screaming toddler just this morning. (More on that later....)


From her comment posted January 2, 2010:

Heidi (Unick... Gretchen's sister) from Whatcom County here... small town girl living in the "big city" (Bellevue) since 1998. Saw you on Thrifty Decor Chick's blog and dropped in. It's worth noting that Bellevue Square does not represent most of Bellevue. It represents developer Kemper Freeman and any of the idiots willing to give him their hardearned money, which I am not. He's made it clear in the media he doesn't want the "Factoria Mall types" at his properties so I just don't go there anymore... it's called Free Will. It's also worth noting that how you feel about yourself and your appearance when visiting Bellevue Square is on you, not on the other shoppers/visitors. I go out & about in Bellevue, including Bellevue & Lincoln Square, with no makeup on and dressed like a homeless person and I'm just fine with that. Nobody has the power to make me feel bad about myself unless I hand that power over to them. Helping that other mom out was nice... I just wish you didn't judge her & her parenting skills so harshly before making the offer. In reading your blog it made your offer of help seem a little less about genuinely helping a fellow mom and more about making yourself seem like the better parent.


My response:

Heidi - Yes, I suppose we all wish we could be more understanding, compassionate and gracious sometimes. I know I do. Ultimately though, I think it's how we act in the end that matters rather than what we think in the beginning. It sounds as though you have some pretty critical evaluations of others yourself sometimes. It's not always a bad thing to evaluate things honestly.



Her response on January 3, 2010:

LOL! Cutzi, as someone who has been reading your "honesty" (read: self-righteousness) on Dave's (last name removed to protect the innocent) FHS board for quite a while I can tell you... I did evaluate your blog posting with honesty but you didn't like what I had to say. I'm always amazed at how (according to you) you're so much "smarter" than everyone else, how everyone else's way of living is "wrong" compared to yours, and how your method of "mothering" is so much more better than others' methods. I kept my feelings to myself on the FHS board for my sister's sake but since you posted this publicly in blogland you were asking for comment... which you got. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to turn that high-powered scope of judgment and critique upon yourself because when someone tells you they repeatedly see these kinds of behaviors in you... maybe, just maybe, it's true. Your other blog readers tried (very kindly) to point out to you that you had no idea about that poor mother's situation: what her day had been like or whether or not that was her usual method of parenting. And I have to ask: so what if it was? How did it negatively impact you? Why was it that you felt the need to judge her? What you chose to do in the end seems nice on the surface but it was really a gift with strings attached when you read your thoughts leading up to it (basically "I have to save the day for this woman who lacks my awesome parenting skills"). Have you ever considered the reason she avoided eye contact with you in the elevator was because she could sense your judgment and superior attitude? If not, consider it. People who truly want to help don't judge, they just help. This was also an example of why so many women I know have a hard time trusting other women... our gender is known for smiling into each other's faces and then tearing each other down. Yuck. As for the DINKs who populate Bellevue Square, they're people just like you & me, no less worthy of our respect. Before I moved from Bellingham to Bellevue I used to have that same smalltown defensive attitude that you displayed and I, too, used to make fun of the Bell Square types (now I just aim my ire at Kemper Freeman because he's a jerk who deserves it). Maybe you don't realize there's also a rather unflattering Whatcom County stereotype *you* fit into. I call it the "I'm a more natural mother than Mother Nature, poops crafts and farts homemade organic granola bars, drives a Volvo/Subaru/Prius, owns only 'comfort clothes' and makes fun of anyone who doesn't" type. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with fitting into this stereotype (except the last part), just as there's really nothing wrong with being a "DINK". Having lived in both communities, I can tell you that I'd rather live amongst the DINKs because their false pretention is nothing compared to the Whatcom County "natural" types with their defensiveness and self-righteousness. Just about the time that I really start missing home I remember how much I hated all of that and I get over my homesickness pretty quick. I'm pretty sure you'll either delete this without reading or else you will just poo-poo what I've written, which is too bad. Like I said, Cutzi, I've been silently observing you for a while now and maybe some of what I've said should be taken into consideration. That's up to you. Best wishes, Heidi

15 comments:

kami nygren said...

Wow. That was a dose of refining.

I don't think you intentionally seek to make others feel badly, but I have felt similarly when we haven't seen eye to eye on a topic.

I have to agree with Heidi about how your attitude seemed like you knew better than the other mom at the park. I felt terribly for her.

I don't write this to make you feel defensive. I just hope this helps you understand that there is more the one way to go about life and that's a good thing.

To God be all the Glory.

Anonymous said...

I just read this and thought of you...

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Cor 4:16-18

Thank you for being so vulnerable and sharing this post. Only God knows what your heart/attitude was toward that woman and that's between you and Him. You are a wonderful mother and have great insights to share. For those who don't like what you share should find another blog to read!

Anonymous said...

I fully agree with the above poster. Only God knows what your attitude was that day. It should be no one else's concern.

On the other hand, we all know what is on Heidi's heart. That being judgement towards you.

I think you are awesome Cutzi.

SeaWorthy said...

Yikes!
I just was just comin over here to wish you and your cute little family a happy new year..

YOUR FARTING ORGANIC GRANOLA BARS NOW??!!!
cutz, your amazing, always have been, always will be.
Get over yourself Heidi.
Happy 2010
xoxoxo

Mike Hollister said...

I agree with Kami. There is more than one way to deal with a situation. In most cases there is a clear hierarchy to these "ways" as well. And when I say this I mean that there are people who persist in doing things the hard/dumb way time and time again. Sometimes the hard/dumb way is a result of laziness. Sometimes it's due to selfishness. Sometimes it just due to ignorance. Of course people are within their rights to act this way, but that doesn't make it any better or more effective.

I think it's very helpful to post about how you gawked at this woman's hopelessly inept display of nonparenting and actually summoned the wherewithall to be of some assistance. You DID know better than her. You know that lying to your kids about leaving them someplace is worth 2 buckets of parental fail.

People that know you should know that you don't often write idle chit chat, but rarely miss an opportunity slip in some instruction.

Anyone who feels judged probably needs to pay close attention to their conscience which is convicting them. I remember raising eyebrows at the volume of reading materials you and Justin consumed about parenting long before Steele came into your life. You were determined and passionate to be a good parent (and I mean good objectively, not not just good for you). I would say that you and Justin are probably the most disciplined and consistent parents I know. As much as I love your kids, I would not put either of your older two in the "perfect child" camp yet your constency in discipline makes them so much fun, even in public. It would be a shame if you hoarded all this knowledge. I spend enough time in public to know that there's a lot of people that need it.

So I say keep on judging. There's a little too much blanket acceptance in this world, especially with regards to objectively inferior parenting philosophies.

Anonymous said...

Mike - Well said! I, like you, think that Cutzi and Justin are the most consistent parents I know.

Heidi - You may think that you know Cutzi but you don't. If you don't like what she has to say, use some of that "free will" you talked about and don't read her blog.

Cutzi - I love you. I love your blog. I check it all the time and agree with you most of the time. You never said that people had to agree with everything you wrote, so don't even listen to the naysayers. Keep on blogging.

tricia

Kristen said...

Cutz....I had no idea what I was in for at your blog today! I think all that needs to be said has been said and I just need to tell you I love you and support you. I love that you suprise me with quirky little things (like lovin' the Hills for instance!) and love me in my own weakness as a person and as a mom. I know we agree about heaps of stuff and disagree about heaps of stuff...well, probably not as many things as we agree about...but that's what makes friendships rock! I don't want to be bored to death and not learn anything by only being around people just like me! I am blessed by your encouragement and know you love Jesus and others. And I'm even more impressed that you posted this comment...for real...who does that? Only someone insanely awesome. LOL
K

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Cutzi -

You're very gracious. Anonymous commnenters (or "Profile Not Available") are generally unwelcome in the bloggy world, especially when they're critical and judgmental. (Ironic, huh?)

It cracks me up when the touchy-feely types get their undies in a wad because they think (judge) that someone is being judgmental... not acknowledging (or aware?) that they are using the same type of evaluative process, but with a different framework of values.

So you see a woman in the mall, screaming at her kids, who are being brazenly defiant. Whether or not that's her "normal" you have no idea, but any parent with an ounce of common sense knows that it's not good parenting to yell and scream and make idle threats at your kids. So you kindly and calmly help her collect her little hurricanes so she can make her exit.

If Heidi thinks that's "judgmental" then I fear for her ability to perform ordinary tasks, which do - in fact - require discernment.

Having seen you now for almost two years with your kids, my kids and other kids, I think you've got excellent judgment... and you can come over and fart homemade organic granola bars at my house anytime! That would surely be an epic day for the boys ;D

Julie

Leslie said...

Cutzi states: "When I first saw the distraught mother she was screaming/yelling at her son that she was never bringing him back and that she was going to leave without him." This is simply REALLY BAD parenting, there's no other way to describe it. Cutzi realized this mom had lost control, so yes, Cutzi did know better. By stepping in she may have prevented a bad situation from getting worse. The little boy was running off and putting himself in harm's way. The mom may have felt chagrin, but that's nothing compared to having your child abducted or run over by a car. Many of us choose not to get involved, but I tried to teach Cutzi to act on her beliefs and values.
Now...are we all guilty of REALLY BAD parenting from time to time? Of course, that's why we have a Savior to save us from our sinful selves. (That does not mean we can't call it like it is when we see it.)

Stacy said...

Cutzi~

If I were you I would be feeling attacked. [And I'm pretty impressed you'd bring all those hidden and no one's probably going to even read them comments out here for a whole everyone-read-this! blog post]

So I just want to say that I think you're an amazing mama with- why yes, "awesome parenting skills".

Press on, Cutzi... it's all about pleasing God, not man, anyway!

(((love you)))

Michelle said...

As a DINK myself, albeit a clog-wearing one, I felt no disrespect in what you said. And with that, my "false pretention [sic]" and I are going to bed.

Jodi said...

Cutzi, you are someone who has a wealth of parenting wisdom, and I (and my children) have benefited greatly from the fact that you don’t keep valuable insight to yourself for fear of how others might perceive it. Every time we talk about parenting, and every time you write about parenting on your blog, I am excited and challenged and made better because of it.

I also appreciate that you’re not someone who walks around preaching parenting philosophies that you don’t live out in real life. As Mike already said, I’m not sure you can find parents more consistent than you and Justin. You fully practice what you preach.

Yes, we have all had moments where our children behave horribly, whether in public or in private. (Just this weekend Jack threw the LOUDEST crying fit at the OshKosh outlet.) But is it really so wrong to acknowledge that yelling at your kid and telling him you’re going to leave without him just isn’t a great idea? I still think it was really kind of you to help someone who was obviously struggling to get her child’s coat on.

Be encouraged, my friend. You are a blessing.

Colleen said...

It was interesting to reread your original post, Cutzi, and Heidi's comments in response. I think she offered some worthwhile insights, though she certainly could have expressed herself better in her second post.

Whenever we feel the need to compare ourselves, from the exterior point of view, with those around us, it's worth asking ourselves why we're doing so. Sometimes it stems from insecurity. Sometimes it's a need for reassurance. Rarely is observation merely observation ~ particularly when those observing are of the female persuasion. ;-)

When we observe someone in a moment of weakness, a time of trial, we have to be particularly careful not to approach their valley from a mountain top. When we lend a helping hand, even then, we have to be careful to do it in a way that doesn't demean those we're helping. To extend ourselves in humility. To remember that, yes, "There but for the grace of God go I" ~ but to also acknowledge that we may very well have gone there already. And will go there again. Or have perhaps not yet been there. Have not yet been confronted with challenges that no amount of book learning can counter.

There's much to be said for coming alongside, rather than marching in front of, someone in need. Despite Heidi's harsh tone, I'm glad of that reminder.

Colleen said...

Still pondering this, with one more thought to offer. I mentioned in my previous comment that observation-turned-comparison, and the ensuing reassurance (either that with which we comfort ourselves or that which our friends bestow upon us), may stem from insecurity.

All of us, of course, have insecurities. They come with the territory ~ of being human, that is. I'm fairly secure in my skin, but you wouldn't know that if you could read my mind while I peruse the latest Tulane University magazine alumni notes.;-)

Likewise, I might take note of the "DINKs" at an upscale spot, but what good does that stereotype serve me? In the end, what good do the comparisons and reassurances do unless they point us back to the Gospel?

When we compare ourselves to others in various ways (clothes, hair, parenting, whatever), what we're really doing is trying to find our worth and value and validation in those things - really that I'm making an idol of those things. When we can see ourselves, truly, as nothing, we find we have everything we need - all content, all peace, all value - in Christ, and we don't need to make myself feel better by being better dressed than that person or a better mom than this person or by having our friends applaud us.

Rest assured I'm speaking as much to myself as I am to you, Cutzi, or anyone else. Rambling on an a rainy day. : )

Suzy said...

Whoa. I'd need to go for a 20-miler after that one.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.