Friday, November 6, 2009

Wrangling Kids and Chasing Vans in the Rain

Yesterday morning Justin and I decided to throw the kids in the car and head down to the Seattle area. I don't know if I've mentioned before -but Justin likes to have little side jobs. In the spring and summer he does yard maintenance for our neighbor, in the fall he makes rose hip wreathes to sell and in the winter he tunes and waxes skis and snowboards. Justin was hoping to pick up a special grinder for waxing but...well...shortish story really short... he ended up not getting it.



Since we were in the area though, we decided to make full use of our day by visiting some of our favorite places. We hit Taqueria El Rinconcito for lunch. It's like a taco truck but better because you don't have to eat outside. Our kids love tacos. When I lived in Mexico I didn't really get it when I would see people giggling over their kids doing the signature taco head-turn. But now, when I watch my kids do it I giggle too. Pretty cute.



After lunch we went to Bell Square. I used to hate Bell Square. You see, my husband protects Bell Square and when we lived down there - this rural girl felt really out of place in most situations. Our Volvo wagon and my clogs weren't "in" and I didn't like it. After a brief delusion of believing that one actually should always wear heels with jeans, I'm back to my clog-wearing ways. I walk through Bell Square knowing I don't own the place and probably never will and I smile and visit with people and drag my three children through all the heel-wearing DINKS and they all stare at me curiously. They don't really know how to respond when I chat with them and tell them personal stories at the register. They really don't know how to respond when they tell me I "have my hands full" and I look at them with a smile and tell them my heart is even more full. I love it.




Yesterday, while dropping Justin and the kids off in the Kids Cove, I watched as a poor woman attempted to wrangle her very ill-behaved children. And I'm going to be honest, they were very naughty. When I first saw the distraught mother she was screaming/yelling at her son that she was never bringing him back and that she was going to leave without him. Do idle threats like that bother you as much as they bother me? I mean, of course she is going to bring him back and of course she is not going to leave without him. But that's a conversation for another day. Once the woman would get a handle on her 3? year old daughter, the boy (5?) would go running off in another direction. No shoes, no coat, his pants were falling down for some reason. I watched for a moment. And so did everyone else. We all stood in judgment and peeped at her out of the corners of our eyes, no one willing to actually help her. Which is when I decided that I had nothing to lose and she had a lot to gain by me stepping in.




As I bent down to pick up the boy's sweatshirt to help put it on him, the woman breathlessly described to me how she needed to go pick up her other son from school and she was going to be late. "It sure is hard sometimes." I said to her. "Come here and put your sweatshirt on. You need to obey your mama - she's asking you to do something," I said to the boy. He looked ate me and was off again. Up on a chair and over the railing of the play area. I quickly caught Justin's attention and said, "Grab that kid!" Justin looked at me in bewilderment for a moment. I pointed to his mother standing near the elevator and said, "He's running away from his mom, she needs to leave." Justin then stepped toward the boy and said, "Come here." "Do you know me?" he said to Justin. "Nope." And with that Justin picked him up by the shoulders and dropped him back over the railing where his mom grabbed him and they took off down the elevator.

The whole scene was crazy. As I rode down the elevator with her, the woman didn't even make eye contact with me. Nothing more was said and Xochi and I made our way happily over to Williams Sonoma where I bought my mom a Christmas gift and oohed and ahhed over the Peppermint scent, pining away for last holiday's Mrs. Meyer's. (I couldn't resist the pun but I'm actually, quite surprisingly, enjoying the Iowa Pine)



We made it home just in time to put our kids to bed. All in all it was a fun day.

Oh! You're wondering about the "Chasing Down Vans in the Rain" part? I'll just say that it involved Justin dropping me off in front of Target, me forgetting to grab my bag of stuff to return, Justin taking off, me then running to wave him down in the pouring rain and my all-too-focused-on-Costco-gas husband speeding away just as I thought I would catch up with him. I could barely breathe I was laughing so hard. So off I went, laughing and running in the rain (I had also left my cell phone in the van) the probable two or more blocks over to Costco gas where Justin stared in astonishment at my dripping wet self as I burst out, cracking up, "YOU NEED TO PAY MORE ATTENTION TO WHAT'S GOING ON AROUND YOU!!!"

We got a good laugh out of it and Justin noted to me:

Several years ago in our marriage you might not have responded so well.

He's right, and I am continually thankful that laughter fills so many of our days.


18 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm with you on the laughing. The times when I start to get cranky about things instead of seeing the humor, I know I need a good metaphorical kick in the butt.

I love the photo of Steele and Xochi in front of the fireplace.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

YOU'RE BACK!

Great stories, Cutzi.

I'm glad you stepped in and helped the woman at the mall. It's hard to know what her "normal" might be, but you did the right thing.

Love the kids' costumes!

Julie

candicelr said...

I've been waiting for you to post again! Thank you for sharing, I love it!

I understand the feeling of not fitting in. We live in a very well to do part of CA, where jeans and heals are a must. But I don't care. I'm a flip flop girl at heart.

The story about the mom, I see this happen so many times and it always makes me said. Even my 5 year old son sees the sadness in it has opened up converstations with us, and I have been seeing just how much he understands obedience is important.
It breaks my heart to watch children as their parents are yelling at them and degrading them. It causes me to pray for those families and to thank God my children aren't in a situation like that.
I had an opportunity to step in once, when my oldest son had stepped in to protect his little brother from a completely out of control 5 year old. The mother in return made fun of my 5 year old. Now that was sad, but a good opportunity for me to teach Cael.

Anyway, that was long and drawn out. Good to see you back! I loved all the pics, and the story about chasing the van in the rain...priceless!

Candice

Stacy said...

Cutzi,
I loved this post. I've often thought about stepping in to help when I see an overwhelmed mama, but I have yet to do so.

But my favorite part was your comment to Justin about "You need to pay more attention to what is going on around you!" because we've had nearly that exact same scenario, a few times- and I'm always waving and trying to flag him down and directly behind the van hollering and he zips on ahead. So funny!

amy said...

What a terrific post.
I just adore you!

Never knew what a DINKY was, that will be a very useful acronym, thanks!

I am so glad that when you went through you must wear heels phase, you never got snobby with those of us who are hopeless when it comes to fashion. And I love it that you still wear heels every now and then.

Good job with the lady, but that is weird that she was silent afterward.

And A plus on laughing along the way. You and Justin excel at sipping your joys rather than gulping. I have a lot to learn from you!

Admin said...

Steele's frog costume is amazing! I'm guessing you made all 3? They are so adorable and super creative:)

Rebecca M said...

Ah, yes. Bell Square and (grimace) the Kids Cove.

I share so many of your thoughts about Bell Square... with 5 in tow and my own clogs on, it's a place to catch some stares and glares for sure.

My mom and I meet up occaisionally at this mall with the kids. Maybe once every few months we go. I grew up playing on the single tugboat play structure that was moored on the first floor until the opening of Kids Cove. We wondered when the Cove opened upstairs on the 3rd floor if there was kind of an agenda to remove the stroller crowd up and away from the DINKs to create a more DINK-friendly atmosphere for shopping. That is Bob's current assumption.

So sad to see mommies and their kids struggling like that, isn't it? I sure have outings with my kids during which another helpful mommy, albeit a stranger, would be welcome.
(loooooooong comment!)

Jodi said...

I just love you. That was sweet of you to help her. It makes me feel challenged to help strangers more often.

Anonymous said...

I just don't think I've told you recently that I just love you :-)
~tricia

Anonymous said...

cutzi
Once day in Community Bible Study about a year ago, I was in the parking lot (forgot my nametag and had to get it from my car). There was a woman in her van, baby in a stroller, and a 3 ish yr old having a fit about her shoes inthe car. She looked so frazzled and did not seem to be in any way in control of the situation. I told her that my daughter cried all morning at CBS every week for three years. EVERY WEEK! I asked if I could stay with her daughter while she took the baby to the nursery and then she could better control the situation. She was so grateful.

I started a conversation with the girl (who quieted down immediately after a stranger entered the picture). I told her about my daughter and how she now loved CBS now. I asked if I could help her put her shoes on and get ready for when Mommy came back. She was very agreeable.
By the time her mom returned, she was ready to go with a smile. I had a heart for the mom, having experienced a little girl who just cried and cried too. For three years.

At the end of the year Bible Study the woman stood up and told the story of how an "angel" helped her in the parking lot one day and she was ready to quit Bible Study, but my kindness helped her decide to keep coming. You just never know how a helping hand, and an understanding heart may touch a person's life. Glad you did what you did.
Kathy G

Liz Harrell said...

That was one seriously eventful post! I'm glad you guys helped that woman, sounds like she needed it. I'm sure she was mortified that other people saw her children behaving that way. I dont know how anyone does it, I can barely walk my dog and run to Kroger without losing my keys or stubbing my toe. :)

kami said...

I agree with Liz, the momma was probably mortified. I know I've been when someone has stepped in to help, and I too proud to admit I needed it. I am always thankful for the help but it is very humbling.

So good for you for being willing to help. It may not always be accepted with the gratitude you'd expect, but I'm sure it was appreciated.

Colleen said...

That sounds like a full ~ but fun ~ day. I really miss just heading out on the spur of the moment like that. We used to go down to Seattle, up to Vancouver, hither and yon in Whatcom County all. the. time. It's so different now that the guys are older. Things naturally revolve more around their lives and that's good and right ~ they're growing up! ~ but those I miss the chances to just head up to Stanley Park on a whim and meander the seawall. Sigh.

You did the right thing, stepping in to help the mom in distress ~ and needless to say, I would've done the same. I really feel for people in those moments and awkward as it can be, it's good to at least offer a helping hand. Remember that time when Steele was pitching a fit at Homespun General Store? You were a newer mom then, and clearly stressed. I tried to help, to no avail (he had no intention of listening to me! LOL)but sometimes the best we can do is just acknowledge the fact that we all have those tough days.

I need to go post something new on my blog. Three months of Rafe's bloody head wound is more than enough! ;-D

SeaWorthy said...

I just love you, Cutzi..

Martha said...

I just love you too! And I love the kids' costumes! Steele's lily pad is to die for!

xoxoxoxoxox

Heidi said...

Heidi (Unick... Gretchen's sister) from Whatcom County here... small town girl living in the "big city" (Bellevue) since 1998. Saw you on Thrifty Decor Chick's blog and dropped in.

It's worth noting that Bellevue Square does not represent most of Bellevue. It represents developer Kemper Freeman and any of the idiots willing to give him their hardearned money, which I am not. He's made it clear in the media he doesn't want the "Factoria Mall types" at his properties so I just don't go there anymore... it's called Free Will. It's also worth noting that how you feel about yourself and your appearance when visiting Bellevue Square is on you, not on the other shoppers/visitors. I go out & about in Bellevue, including Bellevue & Lincoln Square, with no makeup on and dressed like a homeless person and I'm just fine with that. Nobody has the power to make me feel bad about myself unless I hand that power over to them.

Helping that other mom out was nice... I just wish you didn't judge her & her parenting skills so harshly before making the offer. In reading your blog it made your offer of help seem a little less about genuinely helping a fellow mom and more about making yourself seem like the better parent.

Cutzi said...

Heidi -

Yes, I suppose we all wish we could be more understanding, compassionate and gracious sometimes. I know I do. Ultimately though, I think it's how we act in the end that matters rather than what we think in the beginning.

It sounds as though you have some pretty critical evaluations of others yourself sometimes. It's not always a bad thing to evaluate things honestly.

Heidi said...

LOL! Cutzi, as someone who has been reading your "honesty" (read: self-righteousness) on Dave Brown's FHS board for quite a while I can tell you... I did evaluate your blog posting with honesty but you didn't like what I had to say. I'm always amazed at how (according to you) you're so much "smarter" than everyone else, how everyone else's way of living is "wrong" compared to yours, and how your method of "mothering" is so much more better than others' methods. I kept my feelings to myself on the FHS board for my sister's sake but since you posted this publicly in blogland you were asking for comment... which you got. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to turn that high-powered scope of judgment and critique upon yourself because when someone tells you they repeatedly see these kinds of behaviors in you... maybe, just maybe, it's true.

Your other blog readers tried (very kindly) to point out to you that you had no idea about that poor mother's situation: what her day had been like or whether or not that was her usual method of parenting. And I have to ask: so what if it was? How did it negatively impact you? Why was it that you felt the need to judge her? What you chose to do in the end seems nice on the surface but it was really a gift with strings attached when you read your thoughts leading up to it (basically "I have to save the day for this woman who lacks my awesome parenting skills"). Have you ever considered the reason she avoided eye contact with you in the elevator was because she could sense your judgment and superior attitude? If not, consider it. People who truly want to help don't judge, they just help. This was also an example of why so many women I know have a hard time trusting other women... our gender is known for smiling into each other's faces and then tearing each other down. Yuck.

As for the DINKs who populate Bellevue Square, they're people just like you & me, no less worthy of our respect. Before I moved from Bellingham to Bellevue I used to have that same smalltown defensive attitude that you displayed and I, too, used to make fun of the Bell Square types (now I just aim my ire at Kemper Freeman because he's a jerk who deserves it). Maybe you don't realize there's also a rather unflattering Whatcom County stereotype *you* fit into. I call it the "I'm a more natural mother than Mother Nature, poops crafts and farts homemade organic granola bars, drives a Volvo/Subaru/Prius, owns only 'comfort clothes' and makes fun of anyone who doesn't" type. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with fitting into this stereotype (except the last part), just as there's really nothing wrong with being a "DINK". Having lived in both communities, I can tell you that I'd rather live amongst the DINKs because their false pretention is nothing compared to the Whatcom County "natural" types with their defensiveness and self-righteousness. Just about the time that I really start missing home I remember how much I hated all of that and I get over my homesickness pretty quick.

I'm pretty sure you'll either delete this without reading or else you will just poo-poo what I've written, which is too bad. Like I said, Cutzi, I've been silently observing you for a while now and maybe some of what I've said should be taken into consideration. That's up to you.

Best wishes,

Heidi

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.