If you haven't visited for a while, basically I'm doing a 28 day cleanse/elimination diet found here from Whole Life Nutrition. I'm on Day 2 which you might have gathered from the post title.
I was planning on writing a bit about why I decided to do this but I'm feeling pretty crummy and exhausted so I'll just keep it brief tonight.
Basically, I've felt like crap for the last two days.
I'm pretty surprised actually. I didn't think I ate too poorly (except if I'm honest, in December I pretty much did) and I've cut out gluten, sugar and caffeine before (right before Steele was born I cut out dairy, gluten, oats, soy and sugar for 3 or 4 months) and I NEVER felt this terrible. I want to be careful to not blame it immediately on the cleanse - I certainly don't want to scare any of you away from it - and I did take a little fall down the stairs Sunday night. I hit pretty hard, skinned my elbow up and immediately had a headache. I may have tweaked my back pretty well. But by any means, I haven't felt at all well.
Monday I drank nothing but water and green smoothies as outlined in the diet. In the morning I made the winter green smoothie. It really doesn't taste badly so this must have been psychological, because I could barely stomach it by the end of the glass. I was feeling fine throughout the morning until about lunch time when I started to get a headache. The headache got worse and worse until I started feeling nauseous and had to go lay down around 3 pm. I slept from 3 until 8, got up for 2 hours and went back to bed at 10. In the afternoon after I had done some more reading, I realized I could also add other fruits to my smoothies and made myself the Super Antioxidant Smoothie. It was much easier to get down. (and this coming from a woman who takes cod liver oil regularly) Like I said, I really think it was psychological - or the fact that I was feeling nauseous from the headache.
This morning when I woke up I still had a raging headache. I got up at 7, stayed up for about an hour and then went back to bed until 11. I'm so thankful Justin has been home and am praying this all pays off in the end. I also took some advil which I'm really not certain I should have done but I sure was happy to have some relief. I continued with the antioxidant smoothie and water throughout the rest of the day and I am thankful to report that my headache has pretty much subsided. I still feel pretty low-energy though.
My grandma had invited us over for dinner tonight and I felt so bad telling her I couldn't eat - so I actually broke my smoothie fast about 4 hours early and brought over some quinoa and sweet potato to eat while we were there. Man, it tasted good. I'm hoping the early break has little, if any, effect on my overall results. I should also mention that I've been drinking an herbal digestion tea which is allowed. I was so cold! Especially yesterday - and the tea really helped.
So tomorrow I'll start in on a more regular diet - still no dairy, meat, citrus, gluten, sugar or nightshade produce - but much more than smoothies and water. I can't believe how excited I am! As usual, I planned meals for the next two weeks - it was a little challenging as I'm trying really hard to circumvent making two completely separate meals for myself and my family. I tried my best to plan meals that I could easily add meat or an additional sauce to for them.
Stay tuned!
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
I'm not sure I totally understand the concept of the cleanse, Cutzi.
Is the assumption that the more toxins that you have built up in your body the worse you will feel during the cleanse process?
Why would one feel so bad physically when the toxins are leaving the body? Maybe I should just go over to the website and check it out... I really hope you are feeling better soon!
Oh - in addition to what I wrote to you on facebook... the point of the cleanse is to get your body to sort of a base level so you can start adding foods in to see how you react to them. This "cleanse", unlike others which are sometimes for weight loss, is for the goal of the elimination diet and to see what foods a person might react to.
Oh I hear you on the headache! I had such a horrible one on Monday night. It for sure was a migrane. I went to my chiro and then straight to bed. Slept 6:30 - 6:30 and felt way better the next morning.
Hope you get to feeling like yourself again soon!
Sarah
Hope you're feeling better,
Julie
Too bad about your tumble down the stairs! You may have already been to your chiropractor, but if not I'd encourage you to go. I remember your post about the chiro you had being a model or actor...still seeing the same one? :) Good luck on your cleanse!
You're my hero! Keep up the good work! Loving the daily updates.
Post a Comment