Monday, October 20, 2008

Hip-Tastic

Rose hips that is.

Justin, my crafty little hubby (did I really just type crafty and Justin in the same sentence?) anyway... ahem.... Justin, my crafty little hubby, has been making these great rose hip wreathes for the past couple weeks.


He starts early in the fall - scouting out his patches - then he goes out and cuts down the rose hip branches at just the right time, brings them home and makes them. The other day he took both Steele and Adia with him. Adia on his back in the pack - Steele "cutting" right along side with his styrofoam sword. It's a pretty funny sight since the patches tend to grow out along country roads. This year, unusually, he's had two cops and a wedding coordinator stop and question what he was doing.....

This past weekend, our town was hosting a harvest festival and a craft and antique show...

*Attention! Attention!*

I interrupt this sentence to add that Justin wants me to be sure and tell you that he got up at 5 am this morning, put on his stocking cap and went outside to make wreathes. "Now that's dedication. Did you put that in your blog?" His words, not mine. Although I don't disagree.

ok.... back to the craft and antique show. Craft and antique show going on. Lots of crafty ladies who want to spend money are driving by. So Justin put a sign out by the road with some wreathes on it and arrows directing them to our house. And guess how many he sold???

TEN!!

In one day. And today he sold another one! At $20 bucks a pop and no overhead besides gas -that's not too shabby!


You should have seen those crafty old ladies clamor for them when they found out my cute husband made them. I thought about laying it on thick and telling them that he's a firefighter and that we're trying to raise money to bring home a little Ethiopian baby...... but that was a little too sappy - even for me.

The cutest thing is that lately, when Steele climbs into our bed in the morning, instead of asking if he and Justin are going to do their usual "blowering" "mowering" or "trimmering" he says, "What are we gonna do today Papa? Let's go do wose hips." It's pretty cute.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am impressed- I think you should lay it on thick, and then those little old ladies will give you more :)

Talented, that husband of yours!

Stacy said...

I want one.

Seriously.

How can I get one? (Should we make a trip out?)

~Stacy

Anonymous said...

Now there's a man who is secure in his masculinity. The wreath-makin-firefighter. I love it. Ecclectic.
Kathy

Mike Hollister said...

He's an outstanding Proverbs 31 husband indeed.

Rebecca M said...

These wose hips are pretty, guys!

Anonymous said...

So I feel like I should clear the air a little bit. Our pastors wife just came by and bought two wreathes. I told her that I am probably going to use it to help buy a season pass and Mt Baker so Steele and I can go skiing. After she left Cutzi told me that her blog talks about using it for our Ethiopian adoption. Oops! I was thinking of more pressing purchases like skiing and Christmas.

Justin

Jodi said...

Good stinkin' grief!!!

I've gotta hand it to you Justin...very nicely done.

kate said...

So where can I find rose hips?

amazing. very hip-tastic. I tried to do that once with huckleberry, didn't work so well.

fan-double-tastic. Way to go justin

Leslie said...

I knew I should have warned him about the perils of marrying you. I used to call you the "Martha Stewart of Ferndale" and now you've got your husband sucked into Martha mania also. "Decorative rose hip wreathes to brighten your home this season. It's a good thing."
Argggghhh!

Michelle said...

I love it! I think you should lay it on thick. People love to feel good about their purchases, so if they're already buying, why not tell them Justin is a firefighter, and you're trying to adopt an Ethiopian baby? Even if the more immediate use of the money is a ski pass, every little bit is going to help you bring a new baby home. Just my two cents. Well done, Justin!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.