This is the kind of stuff I do....
Phone rings...
Me: Hello?
Other person: Hi, is Justin Jobes there please?
Me: He's not available right now. May I please take a message?
Other person: No, we'll call back. (hastily trying to get off phone)
Me: Um, no. May I ask who's calling please?
Other person: I'm calling from the Barack Obama campaign.
Me: Oh, well there's no need to call this household back.
Other person: (sounding miffed) Well, actually...
And she hangs up.
So you know what I do?
Star six nined her.
Called back and spoke to another very gracious woman and told her that I did not mind people calling our home (which is not completely true - but if they do call I usually don't mind as long as they are polite) anyway.. told her I don't mind them calling but that the person that called was rude to me. I explained the conversation to her and she said she would find out who it was and give her some further "training."
This nice "older" woman (as she described herself) then said to me: You know, it was probably some young 19 year old who wanted to volunteer to campaign for us and didn't know what to say.
And you know what I wanted to say to her?: Yah, well, my 3 year old knows how to be more respectful to adults than that young lady was. It's probably because I hold him accountable for his actions. I train him about how to behave properly and if he does not, he receives a swift consequence so that the next time he behaves improperly he remembers and it motivates him not to do it again. It makes our family life and our relationship so much more enjoyable. You know, when everybody's held accountable for their own actions everyone's a whole lot happier. It gives him good "self-esteem" to know he's a loving and joyful contributor to our family. People feel good about themselves when they do a good job, work hard to accomplish something and are generous and kind - not when they're spoon fed and coddled. That makes them feel worse about themselves and gives them no self-worth. People feel good about themselves when they make bad choices, repent, are forgiven and then choose something better. Helping people do all of this is what real love is.
I didn't say that. But I wanted to.
Train your children young. Take responsibility for them. In your own home. Dont' leave it up to somebody else to do it. Don't expect somebody else to do it. Don't legislate somebody else to do it.
They'll have a much more positive impact on their families and on society.
Not like the young girl I spoke with on the phone.
Too bad I have so much self control. I'm humble too.
Man I'm feelin' feisty lately.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
Heh heh. Amen, sister.
Yeah, but honestly, how much can you really expect from an Obama supporter?
(did I really just say that? Yes, I think I did)
No Way!! You star 69ed her? Priceless. I might have to try that one :)
The caller was young and inexperienced? Hmmm, much like the man she reprsents.
represents
Goooooooo Cutzi!!!!!
Yes, I'm certainly in the minority here. (Dare I?)
I'm an Obama supporter, and proud of it. I also have volunteered for his campaign...I was one of those callers, back i the primary days. I was SO FRIGGIN NERVOUS. I very much believe in the grass roots idea, so I figured I should back up my beliefs with action. You're given a list of names, and, yes, a script to help you along. And...phone numbers.
What you're not given is any idea if who you're calling is pro-Obama, or pro-whomever. You don't know if the person you're calling is going to say "I'm right there with you" or "*@&^&*^%@ [a string of expletives]". In a nutshell, you're not given any idea if the people you're calling are respectful--like you are Cutzi--or if they are name callers. I would guess that in a few of my phone calls, my words were almost identical to the caller that Cutzi had (although I can't remember the words of the people I called--no one was extremely mean, but I don't remember any ultra-polite people either. Chalk that up to nerves).
This campaign has gotten so UGLY that one of my best friends and I have agreed not to speak of it at all. We just can't understand each others political points of view--but we totally understand that each of us has a right to those views, and to express them with our votes (and yard signs--don't forget the yard signs). And if we can't say anything nice to each other about our politcal views, we've agreed to not say anything at all.
Please remember that many people are invested in this election, and have strong feelings. If they're feelings or beliefs are different than your own, that's fine. That's America, and thank God that we live here.
Melinda
Melinda - I agree. That's what is so great about our nation - we can all hold different opinions for different reasons. Of course, we all believe our opinions are the "correct" ones, I guess we wouldn't have them if we thought they were wrong!
It's also good to have a sense of humor about it all. I've heard Sarah Palin had a good laugh over Tina Fey's impersonation of her and has asked to join Ms. Fey on a Saturday Night Live episode - that would be fun to watch! It's good to be able to laugh at yourself.
I realize that there have been many elections and many presidents good and bad, and our system of government still works. I still believe we are the greatest nation on earth and I'm blessed to live here. I also believe that whatever the outcome of this election - God is in control.
Post a Comment