Thursday, February 12, 2009

If You Can't Say Something Nice...

You know the old adage....

If you can't say something nice, don't say it at all.

If I'm honest, I've been adhering to this a little bit in my absence of posting.

But here's the other honest thing: I have a nice life. I love, well... 97% of it at this point. It's true. It's not just something I present to you here on this blog. My husband is actually wonderful and we honestly do not just "get along" but we truly love being around each other most of the time. I do actually very much enjoy my children on a day-to-day basis and have very few moments where I am frustrated as a mother - and if I do I somehow quickly forget them. I do really love spending time with my husband and children more than anything on this earth and we do get to spend a crazy-blessing of an amount of time together doing fun things which I would never in a million years trade for anything. It's all true.

I don't say this to boast - but to be honest. And sometimes? Well, sometimes when I read blogs I think it is often more glorified to talk poorly about spouses or to express the frustrations of motherhood and life. Now, I recognize that someone's reality is just that - their reality. It's what they experience, what they know - and sometimes they don't know that others might have a different reality. I get that. And I'm not saying that there's anything innately wrong with being honest - at all. I've done it here. We all have ups and downs. It's just that I sometimes feel as if expressing all the bad stuff somehow normalizes and validates it. Instead of wanting to change it - people want to hear, "It's ok to feel that way. We all feel that way. We all do those things. It's completely normal...." And then, when the good life is presented - the people who do enjoy their lives are accused of being dishonest - as if they're presenting some pseudo blog-life. I'm just sayin'..... sometimes the good stuff is really true.

With that, and back to the title of this post, I'm often tempted when I sit down to blog to puke out all my negative opinions about all the dumb stuff people around me are doing in their lives. Really dumb stuff. You know the kind - I'm sure you have it all around you too. People are crazy. I'm surrounded by them lately. To the point that I feel like I'm in a big pool of muck floating around on my nice life. Clinging to it. Trying to cling onto others - like these fun friends - who also love their life.

But remember? Remember what I told you? My new motto?

I'm rubber.

And more and more lately, I'm letting things bounce off of me. I love it. It feels good. Other people don't like it so much - sometimes they just keep pelting me and pelting me with their craziness- little do they know I'm like a full-on bouncy ball. Did I really just say that??? I'm a full-on bouncy ball??? Um... yah. This blog post has really taken a turn....

*Frantically trying to remember the point of this post*

I'm rubber, crazy people, nice life, if you can't say something nice...

Oh yah - I even bought a journal (not that I've written in it much) but I did need a place to spew everything since I didn't want to spew it here. Cause it's not even about me - but I found myself just stewing over everything all the time and wanting to let my fingers fly on and on about it as I sat down to my computer. But I demonstrated self-control - and I didn't do that. But in the process - I failed to mention all the things I love about my life. It wasn't that I wasn't still enjoying it - I was - it was just that my bouncy ball powers were yet to be fully revealed.

So now? Now is when I commence posting about my nice life and how much I love it. After all, since we're being honest, it's mostly about perspective isn't it? I prefer to focus on the blessings.

And forget about the person exceeding the speed limit down my little road....

Bouncy ball. Bouncy ball. Bouncy ball....

9 comments:

amy said...

I would add that most of the time "the reality" is sin. And if you let me whine about and say "oh it's normal" --you are right because sin is our normal way but it is wrong to stay there.

We need to realize our sin, remember how we are set free and live our lives in gratitude to the One who has set us free from what is "normal/natural."

All this to say that I am glad that you are this way. And I am often tempted to comment on the "real" blogs that they need to confess their sinful attitudes and consider it joy to serve the Lord in contentment.

In the meantime, let's keep clinging to each other as we cling to God's Word!

Stacy said...

...and I'm sitting here wondering if both of you think that I share my "reality" too freely.

Cutzi said...

Amen Amy!

And Stacy - I don't think so. I should definitely clarify and say that I think there is a huge difference between humbly admitting your struggles and admitting that you are weary versus just throwing your hands up and complaining about things. I'm sure I have been guilty of both but am working toward the first.

Leslie said...

Yes, we all have our sinful, self-indulgent moments when we forget to be thankful for the blessings and wallow in complaining instead. I hate it when I do it, I never walk away feeling "better" about the situation - only more burdened. I really try to answer that question we ask each other every day, "How are you?" with a positive response. Even when things seem to be falling apart (lately it's my body that seems to be falling apart). The reality is that I am okay and that things could be a lot worse. It takes effort at times to choose joy, but the pay off usually is joy! Funny how that works.
Also, it's always a good idea to shower your friends, and strangers, with compliments. That lesves everyone feeling a whole lot better.
When in doubt say "ungboemo" 3 times. (That's the word verification I had to type in for this post).

amy said...

Stac. I think the difference is in what you desire. You have never in all the many years I have known you been happy to stay as you are. You always want God to mold you and change you to His image. And it comes across!

Leslie, thanks for that Titus 2 moment! Your awesome!

Rebecca M said...

"Ungboemo" is undoubtedly the sound of Cutzi bouncing along in bouncy ball form.

Thanks for the reminders and the encouragement, Cutzi, and the rest of you ladies. I am often guilty of moping and then justifying it rather than confessing it.

Michelle said...

I'm glad your bouncy ball mindset is working so well for you. I go in phases where my constant self-reassurance that "it's not about me, it's about their issues" is more comforting than other times. Being a sensitive person, it can be hard to distance myself from hurtful actions and comments, but I'm working on looking at what might be motivating their behavior so that I can either help (if it's someone I know or work with, not just someone cutting me off in traffic) or get out of range of their negative energy. It's a process, but I'm getting there. . .

Martha said...

Ummmm...that group of "crazy people" you're talking about don't include me, do they??? (please say no :)

xoxox,
martha

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.