Thursday, February 25, 2010

Girls Day In

The girls of our family are home today while the boys head up to the mountain. We're going to bake cookies and perhaps do a little bit of shopping and knitting. It's been refreshing to watch Adia play without her big brother barging in on things, as big brothers sometimes do. She's blown bubbles outside and played with Steele's light saber. At one point she shot it out and yelled, "Fire!" Pretty stinkin' cute. She requested plain yogurt and honey for breakfast along with a slice of toast. Her usual favorite. I'm beginning to think we should live in the English countryside. Wouldn't that be lovely? Do you think they'd let her in?



They do let crazy-haired Lola in.

Anyhow...

I was going to share with you an amusing little story detailing me, going thrifting yesterday, attacked by the side effects of taking antibiotics for my sinus infection and winding up in the bathroom of the thrift store completely out of toilet paper with my only hope in sight being a dispenser on the other side of the room containing stiff brown, crinkly, paper towels.... but I decided to spare you that one and instead will share with you:


Home Decorating Victory and Tragedy


So, you'll never believe it. Sometimes I get on kicks, usually when I need something specific, where I check Craigslist all day long to make sure I get first chance at any good finds that might come up. I learned this from Justin who is the master of Craigslist resales. Anyway, (that wasn't the unbelievable part) the other day was one of those days. I was keeping my eyes open for couches and look at the beauties I found!



They looked more gray in the ad but for $200 (yes, I did just say $200... for both..hardly used and purchased off of overstock) those babies were comin' home to me.


Unlike my leather couches, I've already had to initiate a no-food-in-the-living room rule. (the kids usually only eat a few snacks in there anyway) And after inspecting them this morning before taking pictures, I see I'll have to initiate a no-marking-pen rule as well. Ugh. Oh well. It came out pretty easily.


But can you believe it?? Evidently other people could hardly believe it either because the lady I bought them from received tons of calls after me. So many that she called me back to make certain I was coming to get them. You bet your bottom dollar I was. (yes, I did really just say that. I think I watched too much Little Orphan Annie growing up)


This post is dedicated, in loving memory, to Maude the lamp.
She gave her life in sacrifice to a pushy new couch cushion.
I only knew you for a week but I loved you with my entire deco-heart.

Maude the Lamp
February 10, 2010 - February 18, 2010


10 comments:

Michelle said...

Great find! Those couches look perfect in your living room. Even if I had the money to pay full-price retail for everything, I would miss the thrill of the bargain hunt too much to give it up.

Anonymous said...

Cutzi, the new sofa(s) look great!! Sympathies for your lamp are extended :-(
I love a good deal and I, like you, can spend the day searching on Craigslist for God only knows what- but if/when I find "it", whatever "it" is, it's delightful and verrrry satisfying!

Cutzi said...

Thank you Anonymous!

I wish I knew who you were! :-(

Unknown said...

Cutzi,

Those couches are amazing for $200!? I've been a little obsessed with craigslist since we moved, looking for stuff for the new house.

I have to ask, where did you get that beautiful book shelf with the glass doors? I've been looking all over for something exactly like that.

I also LOVE the paint color you chose for your living room. :)

Candice

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Woo-hoo! Victory in the hunt!

Sorry about the casualty. Poor Maude.

The couches look oh-so-comfy.

Rebecca M said...

Ohhh.

RIP Maude.

But a huge YAY for your couch find! They look super!! I am encouraged by your couch hunt. We need to replace a couch and I'm thinking that craigslist is the way to go.

I hope your girl day was fun and peaceful.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Forgot to say... LOVE the picture of Adia with the whoooshy hair!

Suzy said...

That was probably the funniest post I have ever read. Where do I start? The bathroom? The lamp? I wouldn't do it justice. HILARIOUS Cutzi. Hilarious.

Rachel Young said...

LOVE the couches. SO much. And the lamp. I'm sorry for your loss :) Mostly I love Adia's hair :)

Martha said...

OMG! Great buy, Cutz! Love 'em!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.