Monday, April 27, 2009

True Dat

That was the first thing that came to mind when I started this post. I'm a freak. I know.

Anyway, LOVED this post from P-dub this morning. True dat. It gave me a much needed chuckle. I know we haven't even received child #3 yet, but I'm already praying for child #4. Poor Steelio needs a brother. That boy is so physical - he gets in trouble at Jazzercise for wrestling; he even tries to wrestle the chickens.

Yesterday, after nearly 10 minutes of our church service had passed, my little brother and two of his cohorts came slinking into the pew in front of me - faces flushed, hair tousled, wiping their noses. Gabe turned around to my mom and gave her a sheepish grin. My mom turned to me with a similar twinkle and grin. Our pastor's daughter, sitting behind me, leaned forward and whispered, "They were fighting in 'the Great Pine Cone War." I giggled, smiled and nodded my head.

Now, I don't know about you - but getting pelted time and again with pine cones is pretty low on my fun list. But to those boys? It rocked. What is this I see-eth? A pine cone? Lying prostrate on the ground? Surely the Lord God hath put it there for me to pick up and huck as hard as I can at my Christian brother. And it doesn't change when they grow up. Paint-balling anyone?

As a mama of a boy, I need to keep these things in mind the next time I feel the urge to tell Steele to quit throwing pine cones.


9 comments:

kate said...

love this.

As the mama of a soon to be boy, I know that there are lots of needs to get out that energy. I look forward to seeing it mesh with his sisters.

congrats on another girl. It is truly a joy to watch two sisters bond and create a loving relationship where they can be bff's.

Julie said...

Ah, thanks for the laugh on this cold grey Monday morning! I'm ready for more of that warm weather we had last week!!!

Michelle said...

Here's hoping that #4 is a boy (rather than #5 or #6 or #7. . . ) for your sake and for Steele's.

amy said...

gotta love those boys!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes. Boys. The almost 2 year old and 4 year old in my world trouble me with their strange behavior most days. LIke tackling, wrestling,stepping on each other. Brothers are a necessity!!

Jodi said...

True dat for sure!!! I heart little boys so much, and I also heart moms who delight in their "boyness". :) And I know what you mean...I'd take a brother for Jack in a heartbeat. Too bad we don't live next door to Steelio.

Anonymous said...

Well, when I had three girls and no desire whatsoever for a boy, I was blessed with three boys in three years. They are a handful at 13,12 and 11. I have just learned to roll my eyes and go into another room when they start getting physical. I always say, as I depart the premises, "when someone gets hurt, don't come crying to me about it...." But they always do... Boys are cool. Gabe is likely God's current answer to Steele's physical needs for wrestling, am I right???
Kathy G
Kathy G

Leslie said...

Gabe's most important rule from his mom -
"You are allowed to burp, belch, and expel air from any opening in your body without reservation in the company of other males, but not around me, your grandmothers, your aunts, your sisters, my friends(or any girl you plan to impress in the future).

BTW Those boys DID take great sermon notes - not all is lost.

Liz Harrell said...

This post made me smile. And that picture is priceless. :)

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.