Thursday, May 1, 2008

I Need New Face Stuff

I know, I'm shallow. Here I go - on and on about glorifying God and my next post is about make-up. But I need help.

So here's the scoop: I have been a personal use consultant with Mary Kay for years. I just bought it for my mom and myself and a couple friends so I could get the discount. I haven't been able to get a big enough order together for a while though so it's looking like my Mary Kay days may be coming to a close. It's ok though - I really don't think I mind as I've only been using a few Mary Kay products over the last few years. Their concealer is one - and their powder. They discontinued my blush a couple years ago - HATE THAT! And I never liked the smell of the lipstick in the first place. I stopped using their skin care a little over a year ago as I was wanting something with more natural ingredients.

So then I tried using Burt's Bees products. I love, love, love their baby products, lip gloss and lip balm - but I couldn't seem to find the right combination of skin care products. Now I've been using Aveda stuff. I like it - love the smell of it - but am not convinced it's as natural as I would like it to be. And to be honest, I'm not convinced that with the zits I've been getting that I absolutely have to have natural. See how vain I am? I'll sacrifice chemicals leeching into my body as long as I don't have zits. I've considered Arbonne but that's a whole other story that I won't get into now. I'll just say I am so not into the whole home business, multi-level marketing thing. It actually pretty much makes me want to gag. And I hate what it turns my friends into - except Trina 'cause she's cool like that.

And as far as make up - who knows. We've all read the articles saying that drug store make-up is just as good as the make-up counter. But how do you possibly even begin to find the right colors? I guess I should explain here that I really don't wear a lot of make-up. On most days I wear concealer under my eyes and around my nose, a little blush, maybe some powder, mascara, lip gloss and I'm good to go. But you see, I have this weird Mexican skin that is actually pretty fair but has yellow undertones and is a little ruddy around my nose and mouth (I'm so proud of myself that I at least know this info.) - so even finding the right shade of concealer is a challenge. I bought some Sonja Kashuk stuff at Target the other night and while it's the right color - it sort of caked up after a few hours of wearing it and made me look like I had wrinkles. Yes, you read that right: look like I had wrinkles. 'Cause you know I don't actually have them.... ahem. I'm only 32. Just like I'm not starting to go gray.

I talked with my beautiful sister-in-law Meghan the other day and she said she went to the Chanel counter and loves the make-up she got. She also suggested Bobby Brown or Smash Box. The thing is, I'd have to go down to Seattle to get that since Macy's here doesn't carry it. But we both agreed that it's way too expensive. I mean, she works at Microsoft so I can kind of see - but me? Well, we all know that Chanel and kid snot or Chanel and dripping sweat just doesn't seem worth it all. This morning I saw an ad for Sheer Cover. I know Martha loves Bare Minerals. I really have been drawn to mineral make-up lately - it just seems like it should be the right thing. I tried some Bare Minerals at Sephora and liked the look of it at first - but then it did that cakey, settling thing too.

So, anyway - all that to say... any suggestions? My face will thank you for it. Nobody else will probably notice - but my face will love you.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I rarely use make up, and always just the stuff I can pickup at Target... so sorry I am no help.

Oh and I dont have wrinkles or gray hair etiher!!

Jodi said...

Hmmph. Mary Kay discontinued my foundation a while ago and I'm oh-so bitter. I bought some up on Ebay but I'm about to run out. I don't like their new stuff. It's not sheer enough. I was going to try Clinique next, but my mom just told me that theirs isn't very sheer either.

I'm not overly concerned about chemicals, but it does have to be non-comedogenic. Cuz of the zits.

All that is to say that I'm no help either. But I'll look forward to reading other peoples' comments.

Stacy said...

ICK. I am SO with you on the Mary Kay lipstick smell. I can't believe people actually wear that.

My mom got my sister and I some years ago and it smelled so awful I thought that it must be YEARS old and she' got some bargain price on it. She assured me that was NOT the case; that this is what their lipstick smelled like. I wouldn't have worn it if it WAS the perfect shade I'd never find again.

And it wasn't, but I'm just saying.

I wear very little. Less than you, even. Lipstick, almost always. Or at the very least, lipgloss. And a bit of concealer some days, powder, and on a VERY special occasion, mascara.

I know it's crazy but I feel like such a goof in the make-up aisle! I never know what I should get, I'm too practical to spend money on something I don't know I'm going to like or that will be the right color, and so I still have the same stuff I've had for YEARS. But I frequently have the thought: "Surely there's nicer stuff than this I could be buying."

So I'll be checking back in on your comments to see if someone has the perfect solution.

~Stacy

Sweet KT Pea said...

I have used the Sheer Cover, but I don't like it. It smells funny and I feel like i'm wearing a mask when I have it on. A good friend of mine swears by Bare Minerals, and her skin always looks beautiful. I think its probably the safest bet.

I'm a late night infomercial junkie, and I've noticed that they sometimes have a 30-day trial with a money back guarantee. You might check that out.

Also, the following link is helpful to teach yourself about choosing the right colors for your skin tone. Enjoy!

http://cosmetics.suite101.com/article.cfm/choosing_eyeshadow_colors

Anonymous said...

Hhhmm the age-old dilemma.

I use Arbonne for cleanser/mask/lotion/basic skin care, but that's because Pat's Dad works for them and I get lots of free samples. I would pay for it, though, if I had to, because I love what it does to my skin.

For concealer I use the Costco brand kit that they sell and I loooove it. It has a little brush for mixing your own color plus a pump for the basic color.

For eyeshadow I use Neutrogena, and then I use Burt's Bees shimmer lip gloss.

I'm slowly learning what I like and dislike, so these are the ones I love for sure.

I totally agree with you on the friends selling you stuff thing. I feel all icky when I get invited to those "parties".

Kristen said...

Can I just say that this post could not have come at a better time? I was just blogging for a bit before heading to Target to buy makeup and considering what the heck to do to have something on my face that I actually like. Target has the Bare Minerals starter packs for color and skin enhancers right now and I think I am going to go for it. I have also found in the past that tinted moisturizer is nice for my skin tone (which I think is kind of like yours?) because it gives some sheer coverage and helps with the yellow undertones, but is never cakey. So, you might want to try that... so glad that at almost 30 I am not the only one who doesn't have this figured out yet. I keep thinking I am kind of a loser because I never pulled all this makeup stuff together in high school :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Cutzi,
Ok, so I hardly ever wear make-up, because I hardly ever go places I feel warrant it. But when I do, I prefer the sheer stuff, too (also having the Mexican skin). What I used to do was mix some moisturizer (arbonne) with my foundation (mary kay) on my wrist and apply it with a sponge or finger tips. I watched a lot of TLC at one point and loved the make-up tips. Right now I just use Arbonne cuz I get it from my mom. I joined where you get the discount but don't have to sell it, and liked that for a year or so. It really took me a year to run out of my daily face stuff, but I don't wash my face twice a day, or even every day, but when I do, I use arbonne. It took me awhile to figure out what I really liked though. I never liked how the clinique stuff smelled, so I never used it, but I used to love Benefit (but way too expensive to buy regularly)

Jordan@Me and My 8 said...

Hi this is my first time reading your blog. If you are looking for natural make-up/skincare look into "Arbonne". It's a little pricey (for my budget) but the stuff works and is very good for your whole body. And no, I don't sell it. :)

Kathy G said...

Hi Cutzi
It seems that you are not alone in the search for that perfect skincare/make-up. I am trying to e-mail you some info to help you in your endeavor, but I cannot find your e-mail. Will you send it to me?Thanks
Kathy

ilse said...

Cutzi - its funny, because if I had read this post about a year ago, I would have not had a clue about any of the make ups/skin care you were talking about. I use, and swear by, Proactiv - although some people say that benzoyl peroxide is bad for your skin - but all I have to say is that it works. A good friend here in seattle is pretty high up in the arbonne chain, and so I bought some moisturizer from her - and it works quite well. But I'm definitely not a person who would ever sell it (I don't have time for that in my life). I use Bare Minerals, and love it - haven't had any problems with it being cakey - so i'm not sure what to tell you.

Anonymous said...

I have the worlds worst skin and I'll tell you what I do to make it look even and pimple free. Smash Box Photo Finish foundation primer (this stuff is AMAZING) with Bare Minerals over the top. I always get compliments on my skin when I wear it. It's worth the money. You don't have to drive to Seattle you can order it online at Sephora. I heart Sephora. Sign up for their beauty card and get awesome samples and emails that have codes for free shipping.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.