Tomorrow we start down another part of the path that God has chosen for us to build our family.
I contemplated titling this post "On Adoption" but to me, it is not about adoption at all. In fact, often times I find myself feeling a little bristly when people make comments to me like, "I know you have a heart for adoption" or "I have a friend who has been trying and trying to have a baby and they finally decided to look into adoption. Would you mind if I gave her your info?"
I know what the intent is behind these types of comments and I certainly don't mind, at all, talking to people about adoption. But if I were to answer them honestly they would probably be taken aback a little by my response. And my response, honestly, would be this (and please do not read any sarcasm into this, because I am not being sarcastic in the least):
Well, actually, I don't have a heart for adoption. I have heart for obedience. I desire children because God says they're a blessing.
or
Well, yes, I'll talk to them - but what I'd love to talk to them about is obedience and the blessing it brings.
or maybe
Well, first, let's talk a little bit about your theology. What you think about God. What you think about man and what you think man's response to God should be.
And the number one thing that makes my skin crawl?
That is so good of you to adopt!
Please don't ever say that to me. And I won't ever say to you, "That is so good of you to get pregnant!" Let's just agree - it is SO good of God to create life and to bless us with it. We are part of HIS plans alone.
Because you see obedience, children, family, theology - these are the things that are truly important to me.
One Blessing
In order to understand where I come from on all of this I should probably explain some things first. I don't believe anything I believe because it is something I have conjured up in my own mind and heart, I believe it because of my theology (what I believe about God, myself and what I should do about it). My theology has been formed from my God-given intelligence (not from myself) and the inspiration of the Holy Spirit through what is revealed in scripture. I believe the Bible is true (if you don't believe me, ask Voddie and you'll believe it's true too) and that because I am a loved and forgiven sinner who needs Jesus, I should do what the Bible says.So, in short, my theology:
God: That He is who He says He is in the Bible
Me: That I am God's creation and that I am a sinner who deserves death but have been given life only because of my faith in Jesus. This faith has been imparted to me by the Holy Spirit.
What should I do about it: Love God - the way I love Him is to obey Him.
That said, let's take a look at just one of the many verses in which God talks about children... and then consider what we should do about what He says.
Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
(Psalms 127:3-5 ESV)
Here's what I get from this verse.
Children are: a heritage, a reward, a blessing
The purpose of children are: to defend God's kingdom? to further it? to be a heritage? To bring glory to God.
How many children we should have: Well, it doesn't say exactly, but I'm guessing that one or two, doubtful if even three, are going to get you very far in a battle. Just sayin'.
The giver of the reward: God
A quick look into Romans 5 tells us a little more about what we need to understand in regard to this whole topic of children. But the thing that has stood out to me the most on our own journey, the thing that God has impressed on my heart time and time again is this:
I do not deserve God's blessing. I do not deserve children. In fact, according to Romans 5, I deserve God's wrath. I do not get to choose if God will bless me, when He will bless me, how He will bless me, with how many He will bless me. The only things I get to choose is if I will love Him through my obedience to Him and if I will choose this obedience joyfully.
Now, with modern technology and adoption and blah de blah de blah... it sure seems like we get to choose but I assure you, we don't. God is still the blesser and we, the blessees.
Two Blessings
So what has this meant for me? Well, many things, but these two mostly:
1. I do not get to be disappointed about not receiving God's blessing as if I had deserved them. Now, I don't mean that sadness or hopefulness doesn't have it's place sometimes, but I certainly don't get to pout or question God's choosing or stomp my feet etc. etc. This would be unbelief.
2. (here's where you all pull out your cyber-hilighters) If I choose to be disappointed, pout, stomp my feet, carry on...I just waste time that could be spent in eager and joyful anticipation of the adventure God has in store for me. And who wants to do that?? And lest you all think I'm just a downer, here's the really awesome part: God loves us and wants to bless us! He wants to bless us in amazing, fun, miraculous, surprising ways that bring glory to Him AND He lets us be a part of it all! And let me tell you, from experience, being a part of God's plan for our family is beyond anything I ever could have imagined. It has been humbling and an honor to walk side by side with the Lord as He has revealed each step.
Three Blessings
(op! Sorry.. can't show you that one - might be our Christmas card pic)
I know I've said much of this before, but I thought it was timely to say again. If any of you have hung in here for this long, bless YOU!(op! Sorry.. can't show you that one - might be our Christmas card pic)
With that, I think I'll finish my story tomorrow morning... how's that for a teaser? (most of you already know anyway, right?)


9 comments:
Love it, Cutzi! I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!
You are such a gifted writer. And like how you put God's word out there and then tell how you interpret it to mean to you.
God is so good to give us his word for where we are in our life.
Looking for the rest of the story tomorrow. I am wondering if I can guess but I will keep my thoughts to myself.
Talk to you again tomorrow. Hope you have a truly blessed evening with your family.
Cutzi and Justin....your obedience has brought you blessing, but not only you, everyone who is touched by you, including us! Love your testimony about adoption.....I get it and you are helping others get it too. Praying for you about tomorrow!
Love,
Kate
I will be checking your blog like crazy tomorrow.
Cutzi,
I love the way you write - it's exactly your voice :D
And I'll be checking tomorrow and calling (repeatedly) if you don't post... he he hee!
Julie
PS Xochi feeling better?
Cutzi,
There is a clarity to your thinking that is absolutely delightful! Thank you for putting it into words, to help the rest of us think more clearly about the greatness of God's grace, and our proper response.
Bless you.
PB&J
So excited about tomorrow aka today!
In that picture of Adia as a baby... I can not believe how much she looks like her! Crazy.
It has been a blast to watch God build your family and to enjoy you guys enjoying the ride.
And I love telling people what you have taught me, "It is God who builds families and it is God who chooses how he will do it."
And you are so right that it always a blessing to joyfully obey. Always.
Love the photos, love the post.
Oh Cutzi, I love this whole post. Thank you for speaking this out. I am so encouraged by youand all you share here.
Post a Comment