
Part 2
In Justin's words, for the last 6 months, I "haven't been quite" myself. If you'll remember, in the fall, most of my little crew came down with the swine flu. Oink. Then in January (January 16th to be exact - I remember because I was at my niece's birthday party), around the time I tried my first elimination diet, I got sick again. I had had some sort of flu-like virus which turned into a cold. I started coughing and well, long story short - 6 months, more colds, not-myself-symptoms and a couple of doctor's visits later, I am still coughing. 6 months! No joke - I've been coughing for six months.
In my mind, coughing for six months =
Cancer
Because well, in my mind, any sort of odd feeling, pain or symptom =
Cancer
(See previous posts on anxiety, fear, etc.)
Fortunately for me - so far, nothing has turned out to =
Cancer
I'm just trying to give you a feel for how often this little brain of mine goes straight to =
Cancer
Please, please believe me when I say that I am in no way, whatsoever making light of this subject.
What I am saying is that I am certain I think about
Cancer
way more than anyone should.
So back in March I go to see my very dear conventional doctor - who also goes to my church - and tell him I have been coughing for (at that time) three months and that I'm worried I might have... you guessed it....
Cancer
Without making me feel too terribly stupid, he chuckles a bit and tells me I probably don't have... you know... *it* in much the same way he told me at the end of May last year that I was not having a heart attack but wondered if I might be under just a teensy bit of stress? preparing for Xochi to arrive and wondered if I could maybe, just maybe, be experiencing some anxiety because of it? Um. Maybe. Just a little bit.
Ok. My bad. Not a heart attack either.
Somewhere in the midst of all of this he also mentions that I have low vitamin D levels and that I should start taking a supplement. Evidently, that bit of information goes in one ear, sits for just a moment, and then heads straight out the other ear. That is, until I go back to see him a few weeks ago because now I have been coughing for six months and it's really starting to get annoying.
First, he says that it seems I might have asthma and prescribes an inhaler.
Next, after I tell him I haven't gotten around to getting a vitamin D supplement yet, he explains to me again - this time a little more thoroughly.
Basically, Cutzi, a good vitamin D level is 30. I treat people complaining of vitamin D deficiency symptoms at levels of 18-20. You're at an 8. Out of the thousands of people I see, I might have 5 -at the most- with levels that low. And you're one of them.
8!!! Eight!!!
So basically, Dr. D, what you're tellin' me is that I need to start taking some viatmin D?
Then I go home and research vitamin D deficiency symptoms and here is what I find:
(among other more severe problems that I won't get into but you can probably guess at *ahem..cancer....cough, cough*)
Colds and flu
Periodontal Disease and Cavities
Depression
Anxiety
Seasonal Affective Disorder
Osteoporosis
Asthma
Muscle weakness and non-specific types of aches and pains
Fatigue
Nausea Vomiting and Diarrhea
Believe it or not, this was good news to me.
The next thing I did? Went straight out and bought myself a big 'ol bottle full of Vitamin D3.
To be continued....


17 comments:
First of all, I love that photo of you!
Second of all, I was laughing at the Cancer (you have to laugh at it because it's so scary. If you laugh at it, It may make it feel less powerful)
Third? Vitamin D symptoms: WHO. KNEW???
Get out into that summer sun too! I love you. You remind me of ME!!! Although I have not been coughing for 6 months!
Yes!
My doc mentioned the same thing.
I mean, gee, do you think it's possible that those of us in the PNW are a wee bit short of Vitamin D? (You know... how many consecutive cloudy days do we have?!)
Thanks for the reminder. I'd better pick up some more too.
And sit in my chair, in the yard, with my iced tea... whenever summer finally comes. (eyes roll)
Julie
Oh, and Cutzi...
I'm praying Philippians 4:6-7 for both of us :o)
I'm a big believer in getting symptoms checked out so that (hopefully) the doctor can tell you it's not cancer or a heart attack. Nineteen years ago, at age 45, my dad thought it was a heart attack, and it was.
Yeah, low vitamin D levels can cause all kinds of crazy symptoms. It's a good idea to get your level rechecked 2-3 months after starting supplements because high levels can cause problems too.
I take vitamin D3 drops in olive oil that I found at Vitacost. It's almost a year's supply for the price of a month's supply of capsules. You need fat to absorb vitamin D, so it's nice not to have to think about it. According to my naturopath (and numerous other sources), you want to make sure you're getting vitamin D3, which is the cholecalciferol form. If it doesn't specifically have a "3", it could be D2, D3, or both.
I hope you start feeling better! It will be interesting to hear if your cough goes away with once your vitamin D level is normal.
You're the 2nd person in a week to figure out the Vit. D thing. My friend in Madison had a level of 6!!
I really need to get that tested. I wear TONS of sunscreen every time I walk out of the house because of my horrible skin problems. How much Vit D can you get through diet alone??
Cutzi-
So glad you went to the Dr and got a couple of things figured out. I completely understand the cancer thing. 3 of my grandparents died from cancer, at a somewhat young age, and my 4th grandparent had breast cancer in her 40's. I think about that a lot, especially with endo. I keep thinking the endo will morph into some crazy cancer monster. Which it is kind of like that anyway. eh.
Have you tried the inhaler at all yet? I hope it works for you, and you will be in my prayers for healing. :)
I'm willing to bet you will be feeling a whole better with the vitamin D. I had a friend with the same issue. It was amazing, once her levels were back to normal, how much her health improved.
HUGS
Candice
Reading this makes me want to go find out if I have low Vit D levels, too... is it tested with a blood test?
I'm SO glad that you have this kind of answer to some of these issues, Cutzi!
Cutzi I started taking Vit. D last year. My chiro friend said I need 4000 IUs daily from October to june and then 2000 June July an August, although I'm still taking 4000, since June is acting like April.
Funny thing: When I was 8 my grandpa died from lunch cancer. I was so obsessed with cancer throughout the rest of my childhood, I thought every single little thing I ever had wrong with me was the C word!
Fish oil should also help.
Hi Cutzi,
I have had anxiety forever and it's HORRIFIC. I heard fish oil and vitamin D helps a lot. But one big help is talking to other people who have anxiety issues and realizing you're not alone! So, anytime you want to talk to me about it, if you'd like, email me!
Love Suzy
LOL I can relate to this one too!!!! I have been struggling with one of those, "I have cancer" symptoms all week. Since I am pregnant now, most of my cancer worries have been replaced by the fear that something is wrong with my pregnancy worries. I honestly think my midwife must be regretting having me for a patient.
I am learning that having full faith in everything that God does in my life is THE toughest challenge in life. I have to surrender my fears and the control I so desire to have, and just hand it all over to him. Hmmmm.....why is it so much easier said than done?
Me again...the preoccupation with thoughts of cancer is another thing that I think is familiar to a lot of us. When we're responsible for little people, it's easy to lapse into a morbid frame of mind, wondering what would happen if we withered away or were smashed to smithereens. Truth is, of course, life would go on ~ much as we don't want to admit it. One way of dealing with it is to pray. Another is to talk about our feelings. And yet another is to step back, put things in perspective, not succumb to obsessive thoughts, and resist the urge to research things to death when nothing exists that requires research. There's something to be said for not over-thinking.
Yes, keep up your Vit D, which is all-important for calcium-absorption. Don't rely on supplements only, though. They can't take the place of The Real Thing. Care for some cod liver oil? *grin*
Ask your doc about calcium with your D...if you don't take enough calcium with your D then your body will find it somehow :( ie ur bones....I take 5000 IU's a day and almost have been for a year...I was at 16 and after a year of taking it am in the low 30's. I think it makes a huge difference :)
It sounds like a lot of us have the "I have cancer" fears and anxiety issues!
On a lighter note - you're hair looks FANTASTIC in that picture, LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!
Dear Mrs. Jobes,
I really liked "Boy Day"!
In fact, I even put a post about it on my blog. Maybe you could show Steele.
Thanks for inviting the Grasshopper Boys!
Gunnar
Post a Comment