Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Leaving Home

Today I'm going with my grandma, aunt, mom and little sister down to see White Christmas. A friend of mine posted something about it on facebook a few weeks ago - and since I love theatre and this particular show, and since I haven't been to see a show in forever, I thought it would be such a fun way to kick off the Christmas season. I called everybody up and booked us tickets as fast as I could.


My grandma loves having her picture taken.


It all sounded like great fun a few weeks ago. Dress up a bit, drive down to Seattle, have a good dinner somewhere, have a little girl time. Yah!! Wahoo!! It'll be a blast!

Until today.....

Today I'm feeling that sickening, anxiety feeling that I get every time I leave my family for an extended period of time. (I can probably count on one hand, or a few fingers, the number of times that I've done it before)



How can I leave these sweet cheeks?

It's not that I worry, or that I don't think Justin is capable - he pretty much rocks and honestly, I don't think the thought has ever crossed my mind to wonder if he wants to or is able to care for the children. Even when they were babies.

*Short story here: One day Justin took Steele to Home Depot with him (Adia might have been along too) and the cashier checking him out said to him, "Oh... Dad's babysitting for the day, huh?" I have rarely seen Justin get so worked up! I think he said something along the lines of, "Nope. I'm their father. You don't 'babysit' your own kids." Love that man.

Anyway, it' none of that. It's just that, as I sit here even now, with Adia on my lap and her arms around my neck, I would just rather be with them. I would rather be home. I would rather be with my little family than traipsing around the big city feeling small and unknown. Cause that's how I always feel when I go to the city, for some reason.



This makes me smile
.

Oh, I'm sure I'll be fine once I'm there. There's no doubt I'll have fun - as I'm sitting there in the darkness of the grand theatre swept up in the music and the acting - I can't even describe to you the feeling I get watching a musical. The orchestra, the lights, the costumes. If I ever had a dream - being in a musical was probably it.




But I sure will be happy to get home. I mean, who wants to miss moments like this:




or this:



or this:



or this:



These moments top any musical theatre production any day. They're scenes in my life's musical. And believe me - I usually always have the lead singing part. Sometimes Adia backs me up. And we're good. Darn good.






8 comments:

Alyssa said...

Aww...I feel like that too quite often! There is nothing quite like the satisifcation you get watching your kids smile and laugh...nothin really compares, its simply irreplaceable. But you'll still have fun, just a different kind of fun!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh Cutzi,

You make my heart sing :0)

I'm the same way. It sounds so great to do (fill in the blank... some wonderful, fun activity), but when it comes right down to it, I just love to be HOME.

Julie

Unknown said...

This was said perfectly! These are the reasons that I am going back to Mexico. You can't replace your family and losing time with them is just not ok.

I am happy that you are able to stay with them all the time and I look forward to the day that I can be with mine again.

In just 3 short weeks they are headed for Mexico to stay with daddy. Those few months that I will be away from my family will probably be the hardest months of my life. But, I know that the separations means that I don't have to do it ever again.

It is nice when your priorities are made so clearly. Life seems to make sense when they are boldly apparent.

Hope you are having a blast and know that the best is yet to come...the hugs from the beautiful babies that missed you...and let's not forget the loving hubby!

Anonymous said...

Oh you and I are kindreds for sure. FOR SURE. I would much rather be at home soaking up everything when these kids are little. And? I say the same thing you said in the video 50,000 times a day "Let Audry jump by herself!" - that made me smile. And Adia swinging the stick?? That was sooo Kyle.

Have fun in the big city my friend!

amy said...

Fun video! Cute pics. Have fun at the show, I wish I was coming with you!

Suzy said...

Sweet post Cutzi! Will you come watch me sing opera one day? You can bring your kids. :) I err.. don't exactly know *how* to sing opera, but I'm taking lessons.

SeaWorthy said...

AWESOME!!!! I love your family, Cutz!! Lots and lots to be thankful for, my sweet friend.

btw, that BEDDING! is that dwell?
xoxo

Leslie said...

What happens at the Dutch Mother's restaurant stays at the Dutch Mother's restaurant. I won't tell, if you won't tell, that you plastered Grandma's face all over the internet!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.