I haven't been at my computer as much as usual. We were having some computer issues so the laptop was plugged in down in the basement. It took a little more effort to get down there and I kind of liked that. I haven't been reading all of my usual blogs either - in fact, as of this morning, I had 206 unread blog posts in my reader. I still have 186 - but I've limited my reading to people I know or people that I would like to know. I didn't do this intentionally, it just kind of happened. And actually, it's very unusual for me - I'm the type of person that can't have unread e-mails sitting in my inbox. I like to open the microwave door on a 5 second increment - I'm a little OCD about things like that sometimes.
Anyhow, I usually read a lot of crafty and home dec blogs - I started to read some this morning and my brain started in just as I thought it would. Wondering about all the Christmas crafts and decorating that I might be doing. It's just better if I don't read them for now - especially since I'm feeling extremely relaxed and joyful this Christmas season. I think I'll keep it that way.
I'll tell you what I have been reading though - lots and lots of winter and Christmas picture books with my kids. We have a basket full that I reserve for this time of year. We've also checked a bunch out from the library. I thought I'd share a few titles with you this morning.
If You Take a Mouse to the Movies

And it's spin-off book
Merry Christmas Mouse




Maisy's Christmas Day
The Snowy Day

Winter On the Farm





And it's spin-off book
Merry Christmas Mouse




Maisy's Christmas Day
The Snowy Day

Winter On the Farm
Whew! This is going to take a long time if I post every picture. I love a lot of books! I'll just do a list with the link to Amazon.
Christmas in the Big Woods I love all these Little House picture books
When It Starts to Snow
Winter Poems My mom bought this book of poems for the kids one Christmas and they love it.
The Night Before Christmas I love the vintage looking illustrations in this particular version.
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever I have such fond memories of my mom reading this to me as a child
The Biggest Best Snowman
Wee Sing for Christmas
The Hat
The Mitten
Snowmen At Night
Thanksgiving Day at Our House (obviously for Thanksgiving - we love this one. We recited poems from it for our Thanksgiving service at church)
Frosty the Snowman I like this Little Golden version
Christmas Day in the Morning This one is new to us and it made me cry - I think I'm going to buy a copy for Justin's grandparents for Christmas. They were dairy farmers and it made me think of them.
Gingerbread Baby
How the Grinch Stole Christmas Of course! Steele has it memorized... it may be next year's Halloween costume theme.
Who Would Like a Christmas Tree?
The Donkey's Christmas Song
The Little Lost Robin
The Little Fir Tree This is one of my favorite books of all time. One day, I WILL have a copy of one with Barbara Cooney illustrations. I don't know why it ever would have gone out of print! (The one pictured here is not the Barbara Cooney one)
Stranger in the Woods
Stopping By Woods On a Snowy Evening I'm going to get my own copy of this VERY soon!
Toot and Puddle I'll Be Home for Christmas These little Toot and Puddle books are very endearing to me for some reason.
Last year, Soulemama posted a great list of winter reading. I think I'll go back to it and check out some of them again.
I eat up book lists and have been known to go on to my library's web site and reserve a bazillion books at a time on one theme. Recently, a woman at my church recommended Chinaberry to me. They have some wonderful book recommendations and to my surprise, some unique gifts as well. I've been leafing through their catalog and will be reserving many of them soon.
Happy Winter Reading!
Christmas in the Big Woods I love all these Little House picture books
When It Starts to Snow
Winter Poems My mom bought this book of poems for the kids one Christmas and they love it.
The Night Before Christmas I love the vintage looking illustrations in this particular version.
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever I have such fond memories of my mom reading this to me as a child
The Biggest Best Snowman
Wee Sing for Christmas
The Hat
The Mitten
Snowmen At Night
Thanksgiving Day at Our House (obviously for Thanksgiving - we love this one. We recited poems from it for our Thanksgiving service at church)
Frosty the Snowman I like this Little Golden version
Christmas Day in the Morning This one is new to us and it made me cry - I think I'm going to buy a copy for Justin's grandparents for Christmas. They were dairy farmers and it made me think of them.
Gingerbread Baby
How the Grinch Stole Christmas Of course! Steele has it memorized... it may be next year's Halloween costume theme.
Who Would Like a Christmas Tree?
The Donkey's Christmas Song
The Little Lost Robin
The Little Fir Tree This is one of my favorite books of all time. One day, I WILL have a copy of one with Barbara Cooney illustrations. I don't know why it ever would have gone out of print! (The one pictured here is not the Barbara Cooney one)
Stranger in the Woods
Stopping By Woods On a Snowy Evening I'm going to get my own copy of this VERY soon!
Toot and Puddle I'll Be Home for Christmas These little Toot and Puddle books are very endearing to me for some reason.
Last year, Soulemama posted a great list of winter reading. I think I'll go back to it and check out some of them again.
I eat up book lists and have been known to go on to my library's web site and reserve a bazillion books at a time on one theme. Recently, a woman at my church recommended Chinaberry to me. They have some wonderful book recommendations and to my surprise, some unique gifts as well. I've been leafing through their catalog and will be reserving many of them soon.
Happy Winter Reading!






6 comments:
Fun! Thank you for taking the time to list all these. I realized this year that our Christmas book collection is a bit pitiful, so I'm hoping to start building it up a bit. And I never seem to time our Christmas holds at the library quite well enough. By the time I get around to it all the decent ones are gone gone gone.
I did just buy The Best Christmas Pageant ever on Half.com. I started reading it to Jack yesterday. I love it. Lots of unkind talk about fat kids though. :(
Merry Christmas dear friend! Enjoy your snow!
Every year for Christmas we head to the bookstore, all together, and buy a Christmas book for our family collection. Two years ago we bought Christmas Day in the Morning. Mark picked it out. We love it! :)
Great list. I've meant to do the same with our stash... list them on the blog. Maybe I'll get to it... or maybe that will be a post for next Christmas!
I'm the same about putting several books on hold after reading book lists! Thanks for the recommendations!
(Oh. I'm ALSO OCD about things like that. Mark: not so much. He purposely sets his alarm for times like "7:57" or some odd number and it drives me CRAZY.)
Love to you!
(Loved your facebook pictures of your beautiful, Christmas-y home!)
Cutzi,
I love your book list! We have a "thing" for Christmas books - we read a different one aloud each night in December. Sort of a countdown to Christmas. I wrap them, and the kids get to open one each evening :0)
See you tomorrow...
Julie
Wonderful list Cutzi!! I love children's literature. LOVE IT. I order lots through Scholastic book clubs (being a teacher DOES have it's benefits!!) Storytime under the tree or snuggled up under a blanket is one of the most wonderful things in the world.
I remember loving The Snowy Day when I was little. The illustrations really stayed with me. Great story!
-Helen
did you get your "The Little Fir Tree" with Cooney illustrations? :-)
Post a Comment