Friday, October 9, 2009

Storytime Lessons


Steele and Justin making rose hip wreathes


This last Tuesday at story time our librarian read the story Ella Sarah Gets Dressed. It is a story about a little girl who is getting dressed and has her own style. Throughout the book, Ella Sarah's family members suggest different outfits for her but Ella Sarah has her own ideas about what she wants to wear. At the beginning of the book, her mother tells her to put something specific on and Ella Sarah replies, "No. I want to wear my pink polka-dot pants, my dress with orange-and-green flowers, my purple-and-blue striped socks, my yellow shoes and my red hat." This continues throughout the book.

As the story comes to a close, Ella Sarah finally puts on her crazy little outfit. As she showed the final illustration of Ella Sarah in her colorful clothing, our librarian looked out at the children and asked, "What do you think? Do you like her outfit?"

And Steele, my sweet squirrely Steele... Steele, who I so often have to remind over and over again about his behavior. Steele, such a typical four-year-old boy, who most commonly acts first and thinks second... piped up in a quiet moment and said confidently
,

Yah. But she disobeyed.





Ahhhh.... This mama's heart was so proud. He's getting it. He understands right from wrong. He recognized that Ella Sarah's disobedience was a problem. He often stares in bewilderment at children who confidently say "No" to their parents. It happened yesterday. I could almost hear the wheels turning as he stared at the little girl in confusion.

It was similar to the look of confusion on the librarian's face when Steele made his own confident statement.

"Why yes. Yes, she did," the librarian said.

The inside flap of the book describes the story in this way:

Ella Sarah isn't like her sister. Or her mother. Or her father. She's like Ella Sarah. And when it's time to get dressed, she knows just what to do.

Most of the time, when I discipline Steele I say to him, "I'm teaching you to obey your Mama and Papa so you grow up to be a man who obeys God." You see, little Ella Sarah isn't much different from the rest of the world's fallen humanity. So often, our sinfulness is justified by claims of self-expression and individuality. It's so deceptive and it leads us away from God's best.

But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children - with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts. Psalm 103: 17

He who obeys instructions guards his life, but he who is contemptuous of his ways will die.
Proverbs 19:16


I think I would be hard-pressed to find any greater discipline to instill in my children than obedience. Giving, loving others, devotions, sacrifice, corporate worship.... they're all good. But obedience comes first.

But Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD ? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams. 1 Samuel 15:22


I ask my children regularly, "What come first?" They reply, "Love God." And then I say, "What comes second?" "Love Others."

Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. John 14: 23,24


My prayer and goal as I train my children is obedience. Unwavering, joyful, immediate obedience. Obedience first to their parents, and as they grow and mature, to God. Obedience because they know and trust that God loves them and that His ways are always best for them.

And while we're at it, it's my prayer for myself too.

11 comments:

Jodi said...

Very encouraging words.

I love those moments which show us that our kids really are getting it; where we catch little glimpses of the fruit of our labor. (However few and far between those glimpses may be.)

Sometimes I'm tempted to wonder if Jace and I should just let more stuff slide when it comes to discipline. It's in those moments I'm so thankful for God's Word. He sure doesn't beat around the bush when it comes to obedience and what the consequences of disobedience are.

Thanks for the encouragement today Cutz!

Michelle said...

What an adorable response! You're raising some pretty sweet kids.

Anonymous said...

How precious and sweet to see some of the fruits of your labor. I do know that, character building and training comes especially where they are small - as we learn to love God and obey it makes our world more orderly! When we learn to discipline firmly when they are little - it really does make the teen age years a lot smoother. "The fear of the Lord, is the beginning of wisdom". AND your children will be a joy to those around you. Thanks for your diligence! lv to all, jane

Rebecca M said...

Sweet post, Cutzi.

Thankful with you for the clear directions God's Word gives to us regarding what comes "first" and what comes "second"!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Pretty wise response on Steele's part.

Good job, Cutzi and Justin :0)

Julie

Suzy said...

Oh, I needed to hear that.

Leslie said...

Someone from my generation probably wrote that book. Those heady days of the 70's were full of admonitions to "do your own thing" and "express yourself". That's all well and good and was probably an over-reaction to our parent's values in
which "appearance" was everything. So outwardly you could look really good, but inside things might be a mess. The truth is that we should not do things because it makes us feel good, or do things because we want to impress others, but all that we do should be pleasing to the Lord. He's our only judge. Obeying you parents does come first in the Lord's eyes. You're a wise one Steel!

Leslie said...

Oops! Steele with an e!

SeaWorthy said...

Its all in the raising, and you are doing much much more than most any mama I know!
you should be VERY proud!

now how hard would it be to ship one of those awesome rose hip wreaths to Aberdeen for the ol Coastal Nest gal?

Unknown said...

Praise God! I have noticed lately with how much the world has turned from God, and families have been turning upside down, God has been rising up many families with a heart for Him and His will. Parents that are raising strong children with beautiful and obedient hearts, make me giddy.

God Bless you and Justin and those precious babies of yours. :)

Candice

katik said...

I really feel that if we have learned to be obedient then we have turned our hearts to God and all the other things we want to become or want our children to become, spiritually speaking, will follow. Thank you for a lovely post. It has absolutely brightened my day.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.