Like the author of the post, I was recently at a wedding and saw a girl wearing dark thong underwear under her summer dress. How did I know? Ahem... yah. You got it.
Here's the thing - I think that even if you are super, super skinny - proper undergarments are a must. Especially under fitted or clingy dresses. Shapewear just makes everything look better. Way better. For rounder girls like me it is essential and will make you look and feel great. I felt so much better in my new brown and white dress at the Leavenworth wedding thanks to shapewear. And even for skinny girls, I think it just gives everything a little lift and makes your clothes fit more nicely.... nobody looks good with underwear lines. *Just a side note about underwear lines: I'm not just talkin' about the ones under the cheeks. The biggest culprits seem to be the ones diggin' into the hips!
And here's the thing - I don't know about you, but I don't get the chance to get dressed up much these days. So when I do? I wanna look gooood. I wanna make my husband look at me a little longer with a cute, smirky smile on his face.
I can take all the fashion help I can get ... some of you might be feeling a bit this way too. So here are my top picks for shapewear:
While Spanx are hugely popular and I do have several pair, I'm not a fan of the Power Panties. In my opinion, the fabric they're made out of clings too much to skirts and pants.
Don't give up on Spanx though! I wore their Higher Power shapers under my bridesmaid's dress for my SIL's wedding

and they worked well for something like that. Where you want to look good but don't expect to be extremely comfortable. It was a bridesmaid's dress, after all, and I was wearing backless shoes.... I can't stand backless shoes.
I also love their Hide and Sleek Capri Smoother under pants. Really love them. And before you freak out about the price - I have one pair of these that have lasted me years and I bought them during Nordstrom's half yearly sale for half price. The best time to get them.
A little more pocketbook-friendly though, and great to wear under dresses and pants is the Hanes Go Figure, Smooth Illusions bodywear. My favorite part about this line is the waist. They don't have a band on them so they don't dig into your stomach - it just makes a nice smooth shape under your dress or shirt. I also love the fabric and feel like my clothes glide over them nicely. My favorites are these and these.
Anyways, kind of a random post from me - Happy Shaping!! Here's to lookin' good at those summer weddings!


8 comments:
This is fantastic!!! Thank you so much for posting! For me...after 4 kids the rolls are endless and I have used shapewear that was a *little* too uncomfortable for my liking in the past....can't wait to try some of these options at the store this week! I am shopping like crazy for my SIL's wedding next month...I about dropped my coffee when I realized the dress hanging in my closet is the one you wore to your Leavenworth wedding! LOL...we must both just have great taste :)
Woo! Don't you love Wardrobe 911? Thanks for the recommendations Cutz!
Or just don't wear anything fitted or clingy. That's my personal motto.
~smile~
But if I ever need to do such, I will come back to this post. :)
Also... [re: your blog comment] Glad to know I'm not the only one! You're right: it must just be this season in our lives with little (cute!) ones.
Glad you guys are enjoying this!
Stacy - I didn't mean just under anything fitted or clingy - just especially under those things. I feel best with them under any dress or skirt. I wear them a lot on Sundays. ;-)
Love this "random" post! Love it. This is one of the things I love about you Cutz that you have info like this to share!
I have one pair of spanx that I bought years ago on your recommendation and I have been super thankful. I should buy a cheaper version to fit my current size so that I have this option for right now.
Did I ever tell you the story of getting a bra when I was in Hawaii? Well, I learned that you get what you pay for! I had to buy a very expensive strapless bra and it was the most comfortable thing ever AND it did beautiful things for my pregnant jugs!
Let's go shopping sometime soon and you can put your wardrobe 911 skillz to work on me!
Random blogs are what I am all about. :)
I do own one Spanx bodyshaper and I feel like a new woman when I wear it. Unfortunately I don't EVER have a reason to wear it. But, when the time comes to wear it again, I am sure I will think of you. Kind of weird I know but the truth!
Thanks for the hot tips! I also want to recommend my slip shorts (kind of like a loose slip, but in the design of shorts) not to sculpt, but to prevent chafing scenarios especially in hot weather.
Chuckled out loud when I read Amy use the phrase "pregnant jugs". =)
-Helen
Thanks for the tips! I have a wedding to attend in a few months, and this information will be very useful to me.
Post a Comment