Saturday, February 12, 2011

Paleo Clam Chowder


Adapted from this recipe.

8 oz bacon (from Farmer Ben)
1 small head of cauliflower (plus more if desired)
1 c chopped onion
1 c chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 c chicken broth (organic from Costco)
1 c heavy cream (raw from Jackie's Jerseys)
6 (or so) oz. cream cheese (sadly, Costco :-(
2 cans clams (I found mine at Trader Joe's which was my inspiration for finding a Paleo chowder recipe)

1-2 Tb. fresh dill
salt, pepper to taste

The recipe I linked to also suggests red pepper flakes which I forgot to add - but it was still delish.

Cook bacon until crispy. Chop and set aside. Reserve drippings and add onion, celery and garlic. Sautee on low heat until soft. While onion, celery and garlic are cooking, boil cauliflower (I separated mine into large florets to cook faster). Cook 8 - 10 minutes or until tender. At this point, if you wanted, you could set some cauliflower aside to add back in to the chowder. Next time I make it I'm going to do this - I think this would be delicious but I didn't have enough.

Here's where I deviated from the original recipe a bit. Blend cauliflower, broth, cream and cream cheese in blender until smooth. Add to onions, celery and garlic. Add clams and juice from clams (you can chop clams smaller if you'd like - I didn't). Add bacon, dill, salt and pepper. I added pepper but found it didn't need extra salt. Bring to medium heat until warmed through, being careful not to burn or boil.

Side note: I added diced, boiled sweet potatoes for some more "chunks." I didn't think the flavors blended well. Like I mentioned before, I will definitely add the cauliflower chunks next time.

This is well worth your time to make, my friends. Completely delicious. It was relatively easy and my kids liked it too.

3 comments:

Rebecca M said...

Way to go, Cutzi! This sounds super yummy!
And it's paleo!
And your kids liked it!
rebecca m

Jodi said...

YUM! This sounds great, Cutz. The minute I can add bacon and dairy back to my diet, I'm making this!

Anonymous said...

This sounds delish. :) I gotta give it a whirl - it looks like a great way to "hide" veggies, too!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.